New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 2.5L MTX with 41k miles. C2 with the sport so no limiters. Only mods are AEM shortram and Trubendz borla short shifter. Its not heat soak for sure just to get that outta the way

In first you rev it up and when you hit 5k it boggs down. Secondarys are opening (IMRC has been cleaned), you shift to second and you can redline it (I haven't but I can get up to 6k easy).

Other issues:
Occationally (once a week maybe) it doesn't want to go into 1st 5th or Reverse willingly.
Shifting is loud... car off windows closed and you go thru the gears you can hear it.
in 2nd and 3rd if I start and not give it enough gas or just going too slow for those gears... a grinding type sound. My stealership says they cannot duplicate it... i thinkI have to take them for a 2 sec ride in the lot to prove it. Grinding isn't the best descriptor for the sound, its kind of scraping like. Also more pronounced with the A/C on. (don't like using A/C anyways)

I have a feeling all those are related... and to the tranny. Extended warranty is going to pay for itself in this car. If it is the tranny and they do it... does anyone know where I can find an SVT Clutch and flywheel to throw in there while its apart? Thanks for the help and I'll give more information if needed.

Dave

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
SPmotorsports

not exactly SVT or cheap but theres a few places with parts for our car. And as for the 1st, 3rd, 5th ... only cars i heard of having problems with the bottom or top sets of gears generally leads to the linkages not internal parts of the tranny. You can easily check the linkage inside the cabin just by removing your shift boot. The one on the tranny isnt so easy to get to though.

·
Banned
5,184 Posts
You can get the SVT clutch, flywheel, pres. plate and don't forget the slave cylinder at Ford Parts Online I linked you to the page for a 2000 SVT Contour. Same setup that I installed on my 2002 Cougar while replacing the trans.

But before you go through that check the shift linkage ends on the trans first these parts are prone to the rubber dry rotting and falling apart. You will need to jack up the drivers side of the car. Remove the wheel and if you lay down and look up at the back side of the trans you will see where the 2 shift cables hook onto the trans. check them for play. If they are bad you will know it, it will be pretty obvious.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NICE!! Thanks JRAK!! I'll do that Wed when I have it up on the lift to do the fog lights.
the cables are fine on the shifter end.

funny the svt ones are cheaper than the others... a little odd.

the main question is why would I lose power at 5k in first but no other gear? Just really really wierd

·
Banned
5,184 Posts
Not too sure about the bogging I get it every once ad a while with mine too when I am really getting into it. Maybe a faulty cam sensor? I know that when I did some powertrain development on this engine occasionally the cam trigger would get a poor signal and mess up the sync(the cam trigger is what determines when to pulse the injector, kind of) When you start up your engine the ECU looks at the cam trigger to sync the cams with the crank ( the easiest way to explain and not type 5 pages ) any how..... If this happens while running the re-syncing of the cams you will slowly lose injector power until you get back to low RPM's it will properly sync up again.

You can 1: start your engine and unplug the cam trigger( front of the engine on the front cover toward the top on the left hand side ) and take it for a ride see if it still happens.

or 2: Set up a noid light with long wires( long enough to reach the injector harness ) and connect to one of your injectors. Drive around until you can duplicate the problem if the light goes dim then you are losing injector power. This can also be done with a volt meter but it would be easier with a noid light.

If need be I can set you up with the stuff to do this test.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok... not gonna try that.. .sorry WAY too much work... I'll just take it to the stealership if no one has any other ideas. I did get over 5k in first today... wonder if it has anything to do with heat and/or humidity? Its just wierd. Graspin at straws here... plugs/wires?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.