New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, great forum! Absoulutely wonderful! With that said, I of course have a question.

I bought the car yesterday (2000 V6 MTX all the bells and whistles) and I am dying to get my subs booming (MTX Hatch style box with 2 MTX 12" subs and an MTX 400W 4 ch bridged into 2 ch amp). For low to mid end equipment, they blew the competition away at most red lights, plus it is what I got at this point. Anyway, I went searching under the hood for an acceptable entrance into the car for the AMP power wire and found basically nothing. I am hoping that I am not going to be forced to drill holes. Something about cutting on this beautiful animal seems sacreligious. Also, I don't want to go through the fenderwell and through the door jamb where it is too easy to get pinched. I am not looking for a spot that says "Put amp wire here" but just something that is already there going through the firewall! Please let me know! Thanks

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
if you have an automatic transmission there is one spot you can go thru...just do a search for it and you should find out where it is...i believe its the white plastic piece behind the pedals....

with that said if you have a manual transmission like i do...your forced to drill

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had the same problem with my cat. I ran 4 gauge power wire through the firewall without drilling any holes.

Pop the hood and look on the FIREWALL by your airbox (driver side) there will be a thick bundle of wires wrapped up in a black material going throught the wall. Disconnect your battery then find something strong and long enough to poke through the hole beside the thick wire that goes through. I used a wood dowel rod to push through first. Now you have to becareful when doing this to make sure when it comes out inside your car under the dash that it isn't getting caught on any wires going into your fuse box and ripping them out. This step works best with two people. One to feed the thing through, and one to make sure it doesn't destroy anything on the inside.

Once it goes through the firewall and you can see the rod under the dash inside the car. You are pretty much half way there. Take the rod back out. Next... take the rod and tape the power wire against it so they are side by side (with the power wire about an inch behind the tip of the rod) then wrap it tight with tape. This is so you can push this stuff through with the rod, and the power cable will feed through with it since they are taped side by side.

Poke it through the same place in the firewall as before, but again becareful when it goes through the wall.

Then cut & separate the power wire from the rod.

Pull the rod out from the engine side and the wire will be left inside for you to pull through.

That's it No Drilling!!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
or you could do what i did and just pop out the grommet that hold the cable for the hood release and run through the same hole...mine ahs been through there for a year and no problems...if you look at the how too there is a sweet spot that you can drill trough...only thing is it is close to the strut tower...you should be ok though...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
i have an MTX and no drilling. theres a big rubber gromet under where the cruise control box is. i poked a hole and ran it through there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i cant find any of those rubber gromets you guys are talkin about, i have no clue i just got the car and am tryin to learn these things but cant figure it out

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Hood release grommet, easy to find.
Pop hood, start at latch, and follow it till it runs into the firewall
there is your grommet.. :)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Originally posted by: EricF
Hood release grommet, easy to find.
Pop hood, start at latch, and follow it till it runs into the firewall
there is your grommet.. :)
hehe yup but i was dumb about it and started from inside the car...that thing is way the hell up there...

PS turtle wax will be very helpful for any wire pulling..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts