New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need some power wire for my RF 500a2...I've been told that 4 gauge power wire is the right size for the job. But the manual states that the power terminals accecpt anywhere from 8 to 18 gauge wire. So does the 4 gauge fit? Or what do I have to do to make it fit?

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
4 guage is overkill for 500 watts... 8 guage would be fine... yes 4 guage is a safer bet if you want to upgrade in the future and maybe you want to, so if you do want to keep your system upgradeable spend the 5$ and get a 4 guage to 8 guage reducer, Stinger makes them... if you can't find one lemme know and i'll send you an email addy for someone who can get stinger products for relatively cheap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok...how would I make the 4 gauge fit anyway?...would I just have to cut half the wires away to make it kinda like a 8 gauge size?...wouldn't this just be a bottleneck effect?

·
Registered
346 Posts
PuckPuck - "so if you do want to keep your system upgradeable spend the 5$ and get a 4 guage to 8 guage reducer"

buy the reducer

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
krotty DO NOT CUT half the wires away.... i did that before and only lost power... spend 5$... get a reducer, it ensures proper power distribution.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
well there would be more resistance which equates in some power loss however since the wire already pumps more than you'll be using you'll be fine... cutting the wires however will only lead to bad connections - hence the reason why i said loss of power.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
depends on what you are trying to do with it... if you are going to be powering more amps then sure but if not just get a good quality reducer...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'm gonna get a distribution block. Eventually I'll want to power my mids and highs(have to replace the front factory speakers still)...

Question about the distribution block in my setup(described above)... I'll have the main fuse located on the power wire within a foot or so from the battery...and then, what size fuses would I put in the distribution block? What size fuse should be main fuse be?

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
ok then get a dist block going from 1 -4 guage input into 2 - 8 guage outputs.... you'll need to buy a little bit of 8 guage for now (to go from block to amp) but for the long haul that is your best bet... also if you plan ahead you could get a fused dist block (a little more money) they are safer as each amp has it's own fuse.

Also remember to try to keep power and ground wire lenghts as short as possible without doing any type of strain on the devices

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. but what size fuses should I use at the distribution block and the main fuse by the battery?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Look at the manuals for your amplifiers and they will tell you what size fuse they all require. Add all of the fuse sizes for all the amplifiers you are going to install together. This should be the same size of your main fuse at the battery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.