New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know I am new here but I assure you I have tried searching and reading alot of other posts.

How do you remove the power window switches? Can it be done without removing the whole interior door panel. Does just part of the door panel come off? Do I have to pull the whole panel.

I read about alot of issues with the power windows and I am hoping I just have a loose connector like alot of others here. It sounds so easy to swap switches but I didn't want to pull the whole door panle if I don't need to. And yes, I did read that each of the three switches are different, that is not the type of swapping I meant. I just want to make sure the switches test out ok and have good solid clean connections.

Thanks for any tips,

PDLarson
Billings MT

·
Administrator
15,477 Posts
Sure, just take a thin screwdriver and pry them up out of the door panel, then disconnect the plug. Don't lose the plug back down in the hole, or you will be pulling the panel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that worked great. Unfortunately the switches look clean and seem to make good contact with the wire harnesses. I cleaned the posts on the underside of the switches and still no joy. I had a brilliant idea that maybe I had a blown fuse but it seems there is just one fuse for both windows and the driver's side works perfectly. I have not noticed any clicking noise in the pass side door when working either switch for that window. I read a bunch of threads here about windows so now I'll have to decide how to proceed with troubleshooting. Most of the other window threads have to do with troubleshooting when you can hear clicking.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks, that worked great. Unfortunately the switches look clean and seem to make good contact with the wire harnesses. I cleaned the posts on the underside of the switches and still no joy. I had a brilliant idea that maybe I had a blown fuse but it seems there is just one fuse for both windows and the driver's side works perfectly. I have not noticed any clicking noise in the pass side door when working either switch for that window. I read a bunch of threads here about windows so now I'll have to decide how to proceed with troubleshooting. Most of the other window threads have to do with troubleshooting when you can hear clicking.
dysfunctional window could be for many reasons:

if all your connections are fine (the only true way to know would be to test with a voltmeter close to the switch), then the only thing that could be wrong is your window motor is gone. the fact that your drivers side window works, and both switches for the passenger side don't, leads me to believe that this is the case. unfortunately a window motor/mechanism is $$$$$.

·
8,526 Posts
If it's just the driver's side that doesn't work, the one-touch down relay may also be the culprit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts