New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm having a slight problem with my car right now. the problem is that when i either turn the lights on (with the car off) or when i turn the key to the 'on' position all the electronics in the car completely die. my father and i looked for shorts pretty much everywhere and found nothing. but dad had an idea so he grabbed ahold of the big ground wire that leads from the battery to the engine block and wiggled it a lil bit and asked me to try the car on again. so i turned the key to the on position and "voila!" everything worked. i then turned the headlights on and they worked as well. everything seemed to be in working condition, but i know the problem is not resolved. so my question is this: is this ground wire possibly the problem? if so, could someone post a pic of where exactly it leads to since i cannot make out where exactly it bolts on the block? or do you think it was just luck that everything worked again after fiddling with the wire?

if you need further explanations tell me and i'll help out as much as possible.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Is it wiggling on the other end of the cable by the engine block, or do you mean he just wiggled the wire? Because that wire should not wiggle by the block, it should be tight. After my flywheel was replaced I realized that the negative cable was extremely loose. That cable has a type of clip that fits onto the bolt a certain way. If you could get a U-joint socket and extension, you can take the bolt off and put the wire on the correct way, & tighten the bolt down. If this doesn't work, maybe you need a new ground cable :shrug:

Mike

·
Registered
954 Posts
test it:

wiggle the wire again - if a-ok - great

start it without intervening with anything - for instance say problems arise again

wiggle the wire again - if it works good again, probably your problem.

does that make sense? just keep testing that wire...

just my hypothesis.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya i'm thinking of just replacing it, but one problem i'm running into is that i cannot see the end of the wire where it goes to the block. does anybody have a pic of the engine without the uim on it so i can see where it routes?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
you don't need to remove the UIM, just take the battery out and you'll see it.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts