New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I want to port out my zetech
any good outfits in california any one would recommend.
And what should this cost me.
Any one had this done?
Any thing I should consider when doing this?
Does it effect emmisions?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I had it done it is a good start
gude in cali does it

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Yeah Al's car is mean .....I'm gonna be taking some pointers off him when I start my engine mods :thumbsup:

·
Registered
719 Posts
when they did mine they did not [polish the intake side just ported they said that it would
not let the air mix with the gas as well if i did that. It's the exhaust and chamber milling
that makes al the hp.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey AL, what kinda numbers are you getting??? Have you ever dyno'd the car? Or run a 1/4? Just curious to see what kinda numbers some people are getting around here in the Zetec universe!?!?!

·
Registered
719 Posts
i ran a 15.10 on the 1/4 with a bad clutch and no interior,i still have to replace it i think i 'll hit the 14s with a good clutch
my friend with a spec v bets me by a second + he has 149 at the wheels dyno
so i thinl mine might be 120 to 130 at the wheels

·
Registered
254 Posts
Those are some great numbers!!! I am jealous......:hitit:

·
Registered
719 Posts
i talked to gude and they said they have a head that will work better #'s then mine dose
they said with the chip they sais 189hp

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gude how do I get a hold of him.

also just wondering I see lot's of offers for say ported 2.0 focus heads and new cam's?
Now since there bolth 2.0 zetech enginges from ford one should work on the other correct.
Or am i just asumming. When I email these people with questions like that i get no responce/ lame.

this is the next mod on my todo list.
any help or info would be great. specially if you live in the cali bay area, Could always use so help from some one who's into there cougar.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i too am interested to know the cost of a P & P..i believe i have seen the chip around for like 250$ ...but 189 Hp, holy crap!! what else does one need for those numbers out of this engine?? Exhaust, TB, injectors, Feul pump, Intake, spark plugs and wires..i would love to get my car up to or around the 200 mark with out having to get a turbo installed for like $6000...and that is if i am lucky..

·
Registered
669 Posts
what kind of gains do you think I'd see from a bare esslinger head from zxtuner.com?

it lists all their head packages as being port and polished w/ 3 angle valve job...

lets say if I were to get the bare head and run everything else stock for the time being, then slowly add to the head...how much gain do you think I'd be getting?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
wow seems like gude has a good thing going on there, sure as hell bet it would cost me a fortine to ship parts of my car to Cali though..hmmm ontario canada to cali...4500 plus kilometers..i will have t look around here for some one to do it for me i think..

·
Registered
298 Posts
i'd strongly advise NOT going with anything Gude related. Just browse the ZX2 forums, they are by far the worst company to ever deal with, and all of their claims are untrue.
Their claims of 50 some whp with a head package is running extreme grind cams, race fuel, and an open header.

Esslinger is a much much much better company to deal with, who offer the same types of products at better quality.
You can get those at www.zxtuner.com

zetecninja - the bare head wont do much for you unless you bump the compression. running the higher compression will give you little gains, but it's still a gain. The gains come from the cams and cam gears. You slap those on a dyno and dial everything in and the car comes alive.
I've done a lot of pricing out- it's easier to buy the head package with the cams than it is to peice together later, so save up and get it all at once :)

G

·
There is NO way that gude is getting 189HP at the wheels from a head and a chip ,

We www.focus-power.com have some of the most power full Zetec street cars around ZX3 turbo 440hp ,SVT Focus turbo 325HP , ZX2 turbo 319HP , ZX3 all engine 237HP all are daily drivers but the all engine car

We have a VERY nice ported head

Tom

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
heard back from some one in bakersfield that does port jobs
for 400 buck they will do a what they call a sport performance/ or a competiton port.
plus if you have them do it at there shop they will do some extra stuff for free.

link
here is the email the guy sent me. Intresting info for any one intrested. Prices ect

Samuel,
A Street Port, which includes a valve job and lash adjustment to your cams costs $400.00 plus any
applicable tax and shipping. The Street Port is a moderate port job that will retain better
drivability at lower speed and improves performance significantly up to 7000 rpm.

A Competition Port, which also includes a valve job and lash adjustment to your cams costs $750.00
plus any applicable tax and shipping. The Competition Port is more extensive than the Street Port
and as a result, loses some of the drivability at lower speed in trade off for significant gains
from 4000-8000rpm.

In both cases, the porting does not include the cost of additional parts. Oversize valves, valve
springs and Titanium retainer packages are also available, and will be installed at no additional
labor cost if they are purchased with the porting services.

It is up to you to decide which way to proceed. Porting services take 5-10 days because they are
done on a customer order basis presently. We will have a full compliment of heads in stock by
spring allowing us to ship same or next day at that time.

Walter Marcy
Marcy Motorsport

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Tom Ive been told that the Foucs Zetec head is so different its not even funny. Do you have any way of telling us what we can use from he Focus parts besides the bottom end.

G

·
Only enough Diff so the head wont ,The VCT being the biggest thing and the bolts on the front where the timing pulleys run other than that there the same

As for the bottom end they wont work either there are some bolt holes and the Alum lower pan is Diff

Tom

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
So say If I wanted to get crower rods and je pistons from a focus as an example. They wouldnt fit??

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yeah, I'd be interested to know what fits in the bottom end, too. Pistons, Rods, etc. ZXTuner does have a Cougar-specific Zetec head package, and I know Tom could come up with one given the chance.

So what's the deal? Anyone reinforced their bottom end yet?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts