New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
31,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, clearly the dream would be to have a sweet-ass sweet in dash like one of those sexy Pioneer units, but thats not a realistic option at the current point in time.

So, I'm looking for a good portable GPS unit. I'd prefer not to spend a ton of money, but I need . . . something, or else I'm gonna be lost as hell when I move at the end of this month.

Who has experience with them, what models, any recommendations or models to avoid? Any feedback is appreciated. :)

· Registered
5,056 Posts
My dad has a TomTom and I like it. I've used it a couple times and it is was very accurate. When I got off course, it told me to turn around, and which way to go to get back on course. It can do all the fancy stuff like show you restaurants in the area, rest stops, etc. It was about 400 brand new. Hope this helps.

· Registered
1,569 Posts
we have a garmin..and the first time we used it, it seemed like the roads werent updated really.

Ex. We were on Hwy 151. It use to be a 2 lane hwy going through anamosa, monticello, and cascade. Now its a 4-laner but the Garmin still followed the 2-lane route.

· Registered
110 Posts
I have sold Garmin units for 4 years and in my experience there is nothing better on the market, they offer alot of features in a unit with a well developed company. The Nuvi 200 would be a good basic unit without street name recognition otherwise look at a few higher end models in that 200 series if that feature is wanted... the price just dropped on those too to $299.99. Great Unit, Great Company, and Great Price.

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,704 Posts
Vampieralla had a Garmin in her Cougar when we were hanging out in San Fran; it was pretty sweet - made me want one.

· Registered
2,381 Posts
have to say garmins are nice units since I have gotten to try one.

I however before that went with microsoft streets and trips for my laptop. I got the received on ebay and it works great. however you have to tell it to find a new route if you get off course. and most of the time it tells you to just turn around so you need to be smarter then it.

· Christmas cutie
5,682 Posts
I have a Garmin Quest and I love it. The biggest pain is downloading the maps for each trip that I have, but they seem pretty up to date.

I would like to add that even with a GPS unit, you should have maps handy. The GPS unit doesn't account for traffic. :(

· Registered
11,795 Posts
I would like to add that even with a GPS unit, you should have maps handy. The GPS unit doesn't account for traffic. :(
Some of them due account for traffic, or at least have traffic alerts. The Nuvi 350 can add this option, but I'm not really wanting to shell out the extra money. So I have no idea how well it would work. It's accuracy, how often it's updated, where it's available... etc.

· Registered
352 Posts
Garmin's route logic is far superior to tomtom's. Get the garmin c330, they're real cheap and you can't beat it for route logic and ease of use.

· Premium Member
16,452 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi 350. It gets me to pretty much every customer across Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, and Michigan.
ding ding ding ding

ya Ryan, just my honest opion but I've tried everything on the market... There really is no substitute for Garmin and their Nuvi line is super sweet. battery powered [I want to say the battery fully charged last about 6 hours, pretty damn good]. plus you have the added benifit of being able to turn your car into a monster truck... tomtom doesnt do that.

although there was a news story that came down the wires last week that TomTom added 3 celebrity voices, Mr. T, Gary Busey, and Dennis Hopper.....For Dennis Hopper alone I might have to pick up a 2nd unit.

Hey does anyone know what is the only car Dennis Hopper ever endorsed was?

· Premium Member
31,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ding ding ding ding

ya Ryan, just my honest opion but I've tried everything on the market... There really is no substitute for Garmin and their Nuvi line is super sweet. battery powered [I want to say the battery fully charged last about 6 hours, pretty damn good]. plus you have the added benifit of being able to turn your car into a monster truck... tomtom doesnt do that.

although there was a news story that came down the wires last week that TomTom added 3 celebrity voices, Mr. T, Gary Busey, and Dennis Hopper.....For Dennis Hopper alone I might have to pick up a 2nd unit.

Hey does anyone know what is the only car Dennis Hopper ever endorsed was?
I think you can download more vehicles too . . . but I know about the monster truck, I'm the one who found it on your Nuvi on the way to Cougarfest. :)

I'll take the Ford Cougar for $500, Alex.

· Registered
11,795 Posts
I think you can download more vehicles too . . . but I know about the monster truck, I'm the one who found it on your Nuvi on the way to Cougarfest. :)

I'll take the Ford Cougar for $500, Alex.
Last I looked the vehicles were kinda lame. If you could make a custom cougar that would be sweet.

Quick question. Does the GPS update it's map automatically, or do you have to purchase updated maps?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.