New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Only half right now really. Took me 8 hours or so to get to this point. Hopefully what I have done so far didn't completely screw up air flow. Ill give stats on dimensions later in the post.

Here are some stats on my head/UIM and what I'm hoping the macine shop can do for the LIM

Port. - Stock - Throat Dia. Gain

HEAD RUNNERS - Prim. 1.400" 1.351" +3.5%
Sec. 1.400" 1.358" +3%
LIM - Prim. 1.215"
Sec. 1.259"
UIM - Prim. 1.400" 1.112" +20.5%
Sec. 1.400" 1.232" +12%

TOLERANCE: basically everything is within .005" of each other. Stock casting flash differences were ignored though.

Im hoping to have the LIM machined out to 1.4 as well. I spent a LOT of time matching up all the ports. The UIM ports seemed to be WAY off center with the LIM and heads. Basically the center of the port on the UIM didnt match up with the theoretical center of the LIM or head ports. This took most of the time in porting, as many measurements had to be made to keep a consistent CL and correct Dia. Layout paste, and a nice set of calipers came in really handy.
As the secondary and primary ports enter the LIM from the UIM the runners on the upper make an upside down "V". They severly taper in the closer to the LIM you get. What I found out (after hours of work) is that the runners themselves in the UIM are actually rather smooth, and close to my port-matched size of 1.4". They are a little smaller, but not much it seems.
Anyway, just figured I'd post this as I have nothing better to do on a tuesday night, hehehe.

·
Registered
728 Posts
those ports are huge!

just something to think about though. would this make a difference? maybe even lose power? cuz i dont think the ports on the heads are that big. if you do everything correctly you'll get a smooth transition from the UIM to the LIM but the air will hit the walls of the smaller ports of the heads.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm expecting to see a loss on the low end, but hopefully with the right cam selection 3000 RPM+ will see a nice boost in performance. I also dont expect this motor to idle well at all. Its not going to be a street car, but rather "streetable". Meaning it will be able to drive in stop light traffic, but definatly not its strong suit. With stock heads the porting of the UIM and LIM this much would be overkill, but I specifically (see the measurements I listed in my origional post) went to 1.400" because thats what my head-port Dia is. The head ports really didn't get much bigger. The OEM upper and lower intake are much smaller than the factory head port castings.

After all of this is done, I would love to get my hands on a SVT UIM, and another stock one to compair the differences. Both on a dyno, and for measurements.

Hey Steve, after I get done with the upper and lower, wana slap them on your car for an afternoon and see what happens? :biggrin: I'd love to see how a stock motor reacts to them.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
p&p the head
I have one head done, and am working on motivation for the second... its difficult, very time consuming work.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I'll ask you just a couple questions...

Are you marking and test fitting the LIM every time you work on an UIM port? (If not good luck getting them to all match up later! I.E. major lip into airflow!)

Are you port matching to the LIM inlet port? (PLEASE don't tell me the gasket - if so go buy a new UIM now!)

How far are you tapering the port matching back into the port? (an abrupt change is bad for velocity and turbulence!)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by: Mtang4life
Hey Steve, after I get done with the upper and lower, wana slap them on your car for an afternoon and see what happens? :biggrin: I'd love to see how a stock motor reacts to them.
Sure! I might not give them back though. :biggrin:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im matching everything to the LIM, and heads. I Actually put the heads back on my "spare" block for the LIM to head-port measurements, and to make sure the ports were centered. The annoying part was trying to match the measurements for the "proposed" LIM dia. The only use I had for those gaskets was a stopping point. I didn't want to go a bigger Dia than the innermost dia on the UIM to LIM gasket. I figure I'm probably going to see (the first time around) if i can use silicone-gasket.. stuff.. and not have a massive vacuum leak. Not sure on how good the tolerances are on surfaces between the head port level and the LIM are, but I guess I'll find out.

Im blending the ports about 2 to 2.5 inches in. Basically as far as I can go with the bit, and right angle die-grinder. It has a nice smooth transition from runner to port. No ridges or anything.

Steve, you better, hehe. Unless we find out what I did was junk.. then you can have them and Ill just work on your old ones for version 2. :biggrin:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(PLEASE don't tell me the gasket - if so go buy a new UIM now!)
No kidding, if I had used the gasket for referance I would immediatly have a nice paperweight. I'd feel bad for anyone who just ported to the gasket contact area without paying attention to anything else.

In retrospect though I wish I would have left the UIM ports a bit smaller so there was almost no chance of encountering a "lip" problem. No matter how much I measure/mark im sure I have "defects" somewhere. I'll really be able to tell after I get my LIM back, and use layout paste one last time when I'm test-fitting everything for final assy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts