New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed lately a lot of people (not just on this board, although there are an abundance of them, here) talking about all the work done to their cars. What I don't understand, most of those people sat on their rear-ends and paid someone else to do the work. Now I realize that many of us (myself included) don't have the unlimited time and tools to get every job done, but how many of us refer to the work done on our vehicles as our own, even when someone else did it?

... and before anyone jumps on me about this, think about it -- I can GUARANTEE you will find at least a dozen people on this board that come to mind immediately. Furthermore, I'm proud to say that every single modification (big or small) was done by myself (and friends) -- regardless of the outcome, I still had a hand in it.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
SO FAR...I have done all the work so I take all credit. So far just small things like interior accessories, intake, strut bar, spark plugs/wires etc. I'm gonna have a shop do my exhaust, headers and gc's in a few weeks..so my answer will change fairly shortly.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i take credit for the work i have done myself, it wasnt all the work done to the car. i do what i can, i dont know how to do everything!!! thats why i give credit to those who do it for me, the things i cant do myself.

·
Administrator
15,609 Posts
I have a modded Cougar, and I have done some of the work. I give credit to those who have helped.
I'll be the first to admit, I can't do bodywork...lol

Apparently though, neither can the bodyshop I took my car too, and I give them all the credit I can :banghead:

I could never take credit for things that I haven't done myself...it bothers me to think that people can, and I doubt they'll be honest in answering your poll.

·
Tornado Alley Moderator
1,067 Posts
For the most part on my car I give all the credit to CaeSly on these boards.....I joined the boards about a year ago and found out he lived in the same town as me, so I PM'd him and asked where he had the work done on his car in town...he told me he did most of the work himself and offered to help with mine. He tells me what he can do and the things that he can't he points me in the right direction.

Just one Cougar owner helping another:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I love modding my car! I enjoy every minute of it even if things aren't going my way im still have fun! THe best part is when its all done and i drive the car, i know that I did that TO MY CAR. Its a great feeling for me to work on cars than drive it knowing I did the work! My 0.02 cents! LOL

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
i might very well be the poster child for 'gives credit where its due'

I always remember and give credit to those who have helped... i dont name drop all the time, but if someone asks, I'm always respectful of those whom have helped and tell them who had a hand in what...
That and I actually LIKE it when people have a hand in what is done to the car... a recent example is when Crispy, Chris & I were all playing around with pinstripe ideas... it made me really happy to have them be a part of something on the car. I love having other people have a hand in things. To me, it just makes the car that much more special... When it comes down to it, I just really don't enjoy working on my car ALONE... it feels like a waste if no one else is there to enjoy it with me.
I love the fact that Puckpuck installed my GC's, or that my friend Tim here in Ottawa showed me how to solder for the first time, or that Claymore helped me install the CAI extension on Saturday at Fest, its just the same as i would be proud to have Excelcier help me with some electronics :)

HOWEVER... I do not agree at all with simply telling someone what to do, dropping off your car, leaving then paying and picking up the car when its all done and driving off...
I noticed that some people at cougarfest did this for their CAI installs... I think one person had a reason, and some people DID stay up all night... but I think there were a few that simply left their hoods open for Kenny and his friend to "get to it" ...and thats just wrong. If someone is to do work on my car, i make sure i am THERE... not just because its the right thing to do, but I like to learn how things are done... there are a number of things on the cougar that i haven't done myself, but aside from the electrical wiring, you can be damn sure that was there for every minute of it and know how everything was done and at least tried to help do it... cept the GC's... Puck and his friend did those in 20 minutes... they were done before i finished my beer! :tongue:

heh, but for the stuff i HAVE done on my own? F'n right I take full credit for it... ;)

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
I take credit for all the work done to my car......haha not really.

Actually I cant do body work, and I dont like to touch my suspension. My body shop did a decent job with the paint and body, and credit goes to my mechanic for the headers, and suspension install. Having said that I have done pretty much everything else. I am quite proud of the mods which I did myself. I am please what i am built and am glad of the end result.

I hope everyone here is proud. I i dunno, when people talk out their ass i can usually tell. I tend to look past it most of the time, but if they are genuine BS...i usually end up tuning them out.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Well lets see, I just got done installing a new head all by myself.

But I have to give credit to my dad for helping me with a lot of my cougars stuff. Helps me with anything suspension related, helped me do springs, rear sway bar etc. He also helped me with my rear disc conversion. I am very happy we work together on the car because its good father-son bonding. Ive learned a lot on here and have also learned alot from him. He also helped me put on my roush body kit, and helped me bring my wrecked car back to life. Anytime Im out there with the car and hes at the house hes usually helping me. Without him I wouldnt have even thought og half the stuff ive done.

Also, my ex-coworker and friend who is now a ford mechanic has taught me a lot and put on my original cam for me. Also helped me do my header since it was a tricky install because of welded exhaust.

I guess what Im getting at is I hate to let shops touch the car. Other than the tranny lol, which I gladly paid someone to do. The only other thing I can think of is the local Meineke welding my exhaust and installing a resonator. I really like to work on the cougar and push my limits and abilities and do stuff I thought I never could do.

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts
Originally posted by: ND4SPD
...or that Claymore helped me install the CAI extension on Saturday at Fest...
...and some people DID stay up all night...
w00t staying up till 6:30 am to work on your car is awesome when you have a group of friends around! i would like to thank claymore for helping put that damned filter on, thanks man! did you ever go to bed that night matt?

i have done pretty much everything on my car myself, the only thing i didnt do was rebuild my transaxle. but that one is understandable, at 17 i wasnt ready to pull the tranny all by myself that and my dad wouldnt let me! i give credit where credit is due.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
i've always done everything to my car, but then again i've always had friends/family helping me out as well.. so i voted some work.. give credit where it's due.

i think the 'i've done all the work, i take all the credit' shouldn't have any votes. I highly doubt everyones done everything to their car w/o some kind of support/help.. unless they only have like an intake or w/e

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
All the work i had done on my car, is the stuff i couldnt do my self due to experience or tools.

Ive had my exhaust put on by a shop, multiple times :) And getting my body parts painted, i took to a shop. I installed everything myself, including the body parts/intake/audio and all that. Now im starting to do major body work on my car, and im doing it all myself, except for the big stuff which includes pulling some nasty dents out of my rocker panels and rear quarter panel ... But i give credit, where it is due.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,978 Posts
I do it all. Well, unless you count, like, painting body-kit parts. I don't paint, but I do the install once it's been painted.

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts
at first my pick was "I have a modded Cougar, and I've done the work. I take credit for it." but after thinking about it my car wouldnt be where it is at today if it wasnt for my dad. he has helped me so much its unimaginable.

beings that i cant change my reply to the poll i'll just post it here: "I have a modded Cougar, and I have done some of the work. I give credit to those who have helped."

:beer:<--for you dad!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
The only time I've ever taken my car to the shop for a mod that my friends and I installed was after we put the exhaust on. No one had a welding machine so I had the shop do it.

·
8,638 Posts
It's not that simple. For example I didn't do my subwoofer installation, because I didn't have the time nor technical know-how. However, I did <u>pay</u> someone to do it (and paid them well, I might add), and I work hard for my money. So, even though I didn't get into the fiberglass myself, I did work to get that subwoofer installed. That said, I don't take credit for completing the installation - I'll tell people exactly who did the labor on it.

Another thought: I might say something like, "I put this subwoofer in", but I just mean that it didn't come with the car and I had it done. I don't mean to take credit for building the fiberglass box and the other labor. I wonder if a lot of people that seem to be taking credit for something they didn't do are thinking along the same lines.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
How about "I have a modded Cougar, and I have done some of the work. I take credit for what I did and give credit to those who did the rest".
most of what I've done has been pretty easy DIY projects (audio, led, intake, etc) and Tad helped pull my dash apart to change out my guages... lowering was done by a tire/wheel shop.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.