New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am talking right now to try to get a cf trunk put into production. If this was put into production who here would purchase one. This would be a full replacement trunk lid, not just a cover. Give me your opinions and comments.

·
Administrator
15,616 Posts
Um...we don't really have a trunklid, do we? We have a rear hatch that has the 'trunklid' piece, but it isn't removeable from the rest of that, is it?

I doubt it would be coming with the rear glass installed as well, and I can't imagine that's easy to swap out. I also can't imagine how much shipping would cost on something like this.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken on any of this...

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
The cost of the rear glass makes this very expensive. (The rear glass is something like $500 alone.)

Considering the cost of CF right now, I can forsee this product costing upwards of $1500 + glass, so I highly doubt you'll get many interested parties.

E1

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
correct... a few of us already looked into this and unfortunately we came accross snags with the window.. we would have to replace it with Lexan which is pricy and we all had a hard time finding someone who could supply it in the shape needed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been talking to the Custom Tuners guy John and he has been a real big sport dealing with some of my stupid questions. He did Craig's bumper and made it look like the cf was the only on there. Since he lives close by I want to help him in anyway just because of how great of a person he is and cuz cf is cool. I know a lot of people in the media business and they want to get some photo shoots in when my car is finished so I told him if he wants some parts displayed on their he can and his name on the side of the car. You guys should do business with him. Great guy. Does great work as well.

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts
i would defenitely be interested in a full replacement hatch made of cf.

Originally posted by: GrandMasterKhan
actually we could have carbon fiber hatch made provided we had a supplier to produce a lexan rear hatch glass.

When I attempted to have my rear hatch fitted with lexan. The lexan peice was still quite heavy. They said that the OEM glass was quite thin and there wouldnt be much benefit in using lexan.

(when my rear glass busted I put it all in the shop vac. I would say about 25-30lbs or so. Not quite as heavy as I thought. The meat of the weight is still in the metal structure of the hatch itself)
tha post was made by kenny in january of '04. to me it seems like we could use the oem glass if it is relatively the same wight. but i could be wrong, anyone want to correct me?

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I didn't say it couldn't be done, I just said it'd be so expensive that no-one would buy it.

The part would be huge, and the mold alone would be upwards of $5k - $10k to produce. Then you have the cost of the CF, lexan (or glass), fiberglass (the underside most likely), and you end up with a company needing to sell 50 units at $1500 a pop to break even. Not good business at all, and I don't know any shop that would take this on, as I most certainly would not.

E1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.