New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone tell me where i can find brake pads fitting the cougar. Im looking to purchase online and looking for top quality. please, i have checked customcougars, but where else?
Nick

·
Registered
810 Posts
I am getting ready to order ceramic pads from NAPA...they only have fittment for the front... I know a number of people that have these pads on everything from trucks that do some heavy hauling to friends camero that is setup to run hard. They don't dust at all, and they stop better than stock pads. Don't know about everyone else but I am tired of wiping the rims off on a daily basis cause the stock pads suck so bad. Since like 70% of the braking is done by the front of the car due to weight and all that regular pads work just fine in the rear. You can also check out Tire Rack.com for breaks...have from mild to really good for autocross.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
What brand are those ceramic ones and how much?

Everyone seems to recommend Mintex a/f pads here, which I may end up getting. However a friend has them and says they dust just as much as stock ones. Maybe very slightly less.

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
I have Mintex A/F's and love them. They do create a lot of brake dust, but that's not something I really care about.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Do you get any squeaking from the Mintex A/Fs when they are a little cold? I put some on a couple weeks ago and I am getting a bit of squeak at low speeds... I am trying to track down if it was the pad or my install. Thanks

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Originally posted by: caenus
What brand are those ceramic ones and how much?
He's probably talking about the Raybestos QS (quiet stop). I have had them on the fronts for a couple weeks now and I'm VERY impressed by the damn near complete lack of brake dust. I have the Raybestos PG Plus on the rears, and they shed almost no dust as well.

I don't recall exactly, but I think I paid around $80 for both sets at AutoZone.

EDIT: Raybestos Brake Pads

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Shinyblackcat, how is the stopping ability of those pads. I've never heard of them. Like I said I've heard good things about Mintex A/F but would prefer to get a pad that is equal or better to stock pads and has less dust.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Well, the pedal feel is a little softer than the stock pads, but it's not a big difference. They seem to have a firmer bite than the stock pads, but I haven't really been hard on them yet, just city and freeway driving. They're definately not any worse than the stockers. I'm actually suprised you've never heard of them. They're very popular around my area.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Alright, you inspired me to go test them out. I went out and beat the hell out of these pads with several consecutive 100+ mph to 50 mph hard stops. (Well, not really stops cuz I kept going ;) ) I also did some very hard 70+ to zero stops.

Here's my opinion. The pads have a softer feel than the stock ones, so you really gotta get on 'em to stop hard. But when you do, you STOP HARD. A notable improvement over stock, which seemed to be limited by something, so that at high speed, it didn't matter how much harder you pressed, they wouldn't stop any faster.

After maybe a total of 8 or 9 very hard fast stops in maybe 5 mins, I didn't notice any fade.

EDIT: although I did notice a bit of a smell when I pulled back into the garage. Hope I didn't mess anything up.:flushed:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts