New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed my guages and front speakers on my car. Now, after doing so, my "Worn Brake Pad" and "Door Ajar" warning lights stay on.

I pulled everything out from my dash and was sure to put it all back together again correctly. I wired the face guages to my radio's illumination wire and it's ground wire so I am fairly certain I didn't cause anything to go unstable.

Also, I took pretty much everything off of my doors to get to the speakers as mentioned. Now, though everything looks as though it has been put back properly, the lights stay on.

Any suggestions on what's causing this?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Sounds like blown fuses......The slightest mistake in an unseen ground or power wire touching the wrong surface can easily blow a fuse or two. Just check all the fuses first, then get back here with some info!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I work and go to school today from 8:30 until 10:00. Perhaps I can look into it tomorrow right after school.

Thanks though! I don't know why I never thought of th- - - wait, I 'm an idiot!

THanks again and I will be sure to post after inspecting them all!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm back... and with no news.

I took out every single fuse in the dash and inspected each one pretty thoroughly. Anymore suggestions please!?!

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
just to be POSITIVE it isn't a blown fuse (engine or cabin) do your gauges sweep around when you start your car? If it does, it indicates a blown fuse somewhere.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
When you took the door off, did you make sure that all wires and harnesses weren't disturbed? It's possible you shorted something out at some point. As far as the door ajar light goes, check to make sure your door pins are still intact and are functional. They are the rubber encapsulated pieces behind the latch itself on the car. it's possible it isn't making good enough contact to trigger the light. As far as your brake light goes, have you checked to make sure your brakes are okay, or are you just assuming that because it came on after you played with the door that it is related?

In addition, when you took the gauge cluster out, you'll probably have to redo it, possibly a bad connection, or you could have damaged/jarred one of the main connections.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My guages do go all the way up and back... however, they always have. So, if my fuses under the dash look good, then where else can one go wrong?

BTW, my brakes are okay but sound like the Bus' when I come to a stop. With the Brake Pad warning light, I am not too worried...just the Door Ajar one.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
They go and recalibrate everytime you start the car? Check your fuses again - and not just the ones under the dash, but those in the PD box under the hood!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, I checked under the hood. All the links there are fine as well. I even rechecked under the dash....all with another person there to act as a second pair of eyes.

Anything else?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
This might sound dumb.... But is your trunk jarred open? Try to open and re-close it. Maybe that is the problem? Also, are you resetting the computer when you try things? The lights don't just go off by themselves. You have re disconnect the battery for a few minutes.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, now that's a good point!

I haven't been disconnecting anything after trying things!

NOTE: I was driving to school, (about 11 miles or so), last night, and the door ajar suddenly went off halfway through the ride. Went I came home, it was back on only to disapear about half way again. This morning, it's back on. Does this have something to do with my lights being on or does anyone think it's because it's so freakin cold at night around here.

Thanks!

G

·
its the small black box under your drivers side dash. I just fixed this problem in my cougar last night. Same symptoms of what you have. Go under the dash and pop it up into place. See if this fixes is. Also, mine does come back on now and then because it slips out of place. Just zip tie it if the problem persists.

G

·
its the small black box under your drivers side dash. I just fixed this problem in my cougar last night. Same symptoms of what you have. Go under the dash and pop it up into place. See if this fixes is. Also, mine does come back on now and then because it slips out of place. Just zip tie it if the problem persists.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
rbrek could be right! I totally forgot about the little black box-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts