New Cougar Forum banner

Pinging... Need help!

2K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  VanCityKitty 
#1 ·
Coug has 73k and has a pinging issue (detonation???). It's driving me nuts! I use regular 87 octane gas all of the time. Should I get a tune-up (before 100k as recommended)? Or should I take to the dealer and have them check it under warranty ($100 deductable)... Any suggestions?

#2 ·
if switching to the next step up in octane gas & a bottle of Chevron w/ Techron doesnt help, try some GM Liquid Top Engine Cleaner. That stuff soaks into and removes much of the carbon deposits that contribute to detonation. There's also something called Seafoam or something that does the same thing... i did a real quick search and didnt find anything. Ive used the GM stuff before on my 120k old Volvo and it helped.

G
#3 ·
Hi there i also have a cougar that pings.My local ford dealer says that they can't ping,it's impossible they said.WRONG.They can.I have tried changing the ignition leads, fitted platinum spark plugs,running higher octane fuel and putting a bottle of engine cleaner through.She still does it.AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHHH.!I have come across a product purely by chance that is made in the U.S.A. Its called a Turbonator and they cost $69.95. If you go to their website www.turbonator.com you can check it out.There is a guy on there who had pinging,he fitted one and it supposedly cured it and gave him better fuel economy.Ithink i am going to get one shipped over here to the uk.Have a look and let me know what you think.When i get mine i will let you know the result.GOOD LUCK.If you manage to cure it will you let me know how.:biggrin:

#4 ·
Use a can of BG 44k fuel system cleaner. If it is a corrosion problem, this will annihilate it INSTANTLY. You will have to buy it from the parts department of a dealership that is BG certified. See the company's website (BG products - not certain of the address) to see what dealers in your area are.

#5 ·
Originally posted by: WOLFRACE
Hi there i also have a cougar that pings.My local ford dealer says that they can't ping,it's impossible they said.WRONG.They can.I have tried changing the ignition leads, fitted platinum spark plugs,running higher octane fuel and putting a bottle of engine cleaner through.She still does it.AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHHH.!I have come across a product purely by chance that is made in the U.S.A. Its called a Turbonator and they cost $69.95. If you go to their website www.turbonator.com you can check it out.There is a guy on there who had pinging,he fitted one and it supposedly cured it and gave him better fuel economy.Ithink i am going to get one shipped over here to the uk.Have a look and let me know what you think.When i get mine i will let you know the result.GOOD LUCK.If you manage to cure it will you let me know how.:biggrin:
Go away troll

#6 ·
Originally posted by: CougarBalla2k5
Go away troll
WTF?
:confused:

#7 ·
Originally posted by: CougarGT
Originally posted by: CougarBalla2k5
Go away troll
WTF?
:confused:
Turbonator plug :banhim: :bs:

#8 ·
I believe that our young CougarBalla2k5 is trying to say that WOLFRACE is a represenative of the Turbonator.....or that WOLFY is simply an easily tricked novice who is spreading the word of a useless product.

#10 ·
Originally posted by: Fett
I believe that our young CougarBalla2k5 is trying to say that WOLFRACE is a represenative of the Turbonator.....or that WOLFY is simply an easily tricked novice who is spreading the word of a useless product.

I tend to believe the latter after looking over his other posts.

#11 ·
Originally posted by: Fett
Aww Fett, you read me so well.

EDIT - After reviewing his other posts I submit a formal apology based on a Jury of no less than 20 respected NECO gods proving his troll-innocence

G
#12 ·
hey man i have a 99 wit 120k and i have pinging, i live in canada, i work part time @ walmart doin oilchanges, tires, all that **** ohh and ENGINE TREATMENTS, k i went for training the other day and they wanted to show us how to do an engine treatment, so i said yo can u do it on my car, so they did, they used slick50 engine treatment, u cant buy it in the store, they only do it in the shop, so basically it is 2 bottles, one goes in the tank on a 3/4 to full tank and they pour the other bottle into this little machine that connects to the hose thats connected to the PCV valve, basiccally that hose is a vacume, so as ur car is running the treatment slowly gets sucked into the hose and goes through ur whole gas flow after about 10 - 15 mins as the process is done, when i reved up my engine, all the **** that was in there had came out, black smoke flyin out the exhaust, honestly the pingin was gone complety, and it felt so clean when i was driving, the cost of this at walmart is $50 CAN, so in the states is about $30, honestly man go to a walmart and ask them to do the slick 50 engine gas treatment, if u do it let me know how u felt about it, later man

#13 ·
I tried the Seafoam treatment and it help a little (or maybe its just in my head)... I'm still thinking about the early tune-up and then pulling the UIM and/or the LIM cleaning the hell out of them.

#16 ·
I have pingin very rarely recently.. prob cause I havent cleaned my uim/lim and fuel filter since the early summer.... but I bought a can of slick 50 fuel system cleaner and put it in tonight.. I'll tell ya how it works out.... (it better.. damn thing cost me $20 bucks)

#19 ·
OK... so getting back on the topic

The How To Says:
Get a bottle of liquid pourable injector cleaner. The last time I did mine, I used Berryman's B12, but I have used BG, Red Line, and Techron. The cleaner is fed through the vacuum taps on the top of the intake manifold just behind the throttle body. To remove the vacuum line, hold the retaining collar with a small screwdriver while gently prying on the fitting to pull it out of the intake manifold. Remove one line at a time for cleaning.
What is a recommended, easy-to-acquire cleaner, especially up here in Canada (Toronto). Or can someone recommend an online place to pickup "the good stuff" whatever that is.

Thanks,

Massiv.

P.S. VanCityKitty: How did the ole Slick treatment go?

G
#20 ·
I bought my '02 Coug new with 12 miles on it and it's pinged since day one. I have always run 93 octane Chevron. 12K miles now and still pinging. I took it into the dealer with 2,000 miles on it and they told me that as long as the check engine light doesn't come on to not worry about it. I live in Texas so the heat is a worsening factor. I switched over to Royal Purple oil at 6,000 miles and the pinging is less evident, but still there. I think it's a timing/programming issue - not a carbon buildup problem. That's made me reluctant to add a chip to the car. I know it can't take any more timing advance. I still keep my foot in it, nonetheless. No probs yet.

#21 ·
Originally posted by: Inliner
I bought my '02 Coug new with 12 miles on it and it's pinged since day one. I have always run 93 octane Chevron. 12K miles now and still pinging. I took it into the dealer with 2,000 miles on it and they told me that as long as the check engine light doesn't come on to not worry about it. I live in Texas so the heat is a worsening factor. I switched over to Royal Purple oil at 6,000 miles and the pinging is less evident, but still there. I think it's a timing/programming issue - not a carbon buildup problem. That's made me reluctant to add a chip to the car. I know it can't take any more timing advance. I still keep my foot in it, nonetheless. No probs yet.
I would probably take it to another dealership.

#24 ·
Inliner... have you ever reset your ECU.... disconnect your batt for about 10-15 min. Our ecu learns that it is running on higher octane and when you get temp chages our engines timming is already compensated to run at 93, so when it changes the timming it makes little diff. Our cars are meant to run on 87 gas not 93. Your wasting milage as well as $$ on 93 gas. I get a full 50km more with 87 gas compared to when I run with 93. With 12K miles there is something wrong with your engine. Have you done any basic matenence? Change your fuel filter.... check the gaping on your spark plugs. Our cars are well known to have faulty fuel pumps.. (my pump is on its way out I can tell) a bad pump will make your car ping under moderate to heavy acceration. Read about how to clean your uim and lim... that will make your engine run like new... in combination with an injection cleaning ($5 for a bottle) every so often. Our engines should not ping especially with only 12K miles. Even changing brands of fuel can make a diff.... I only run Shell or Chevron. There are many things you can do to solve your problem.
Hope this helped... I just hate seeing someone get screwed over by the dealership... I have been there.... They are just being LAZY.

>>> If I have to... I only go to a "Blue Oval" certified dealership... sounds stupid.. but yes.. the service is there, and they actually take me seriously.. hey, they even fixed my sunroof for free after my warrantee was up. <<<

edit... re read the post.. you said 12 miles my bad... still theres something wrong

#25 ·
Massiv,
For once I think I bought a good treatment. Most other injector cleaners didnt do much. I found it at Cdn Tire. It was Slick 50 Fuel System Cleaner not just the regular "injector cleaner." I'm only 75 km into my tank of gas but so far it has worked.. not a sign of pinging.... So I guess the $20 bucks was worth it! Its supposed to "clean carbon build up on manifolds and intake throttle bodies..." but I'll tell you how it worked when I take my uim off in a week or two.... I'll tell you how it held up to its claims.

Now if someone could only make Ford Fuel Pumps: Fuel Pump Repair in a Bottle :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

#26 ·
Ok... few more thoughts on this thread.

Kinger:
How would one test for a sticking EGR? In my post in problems, i describe a similar problem to here. One of the codes I got at one point was EGR Flow Excessive. It hasn't come back (the code) after being reset.

VanCityKitty:
• Are you <u>sure</u> our computer learns that we're running higher octane, and advances timing? I don't think that's the case. If so, you would get more mileage and power, not less as is the case. I think his problem must be something else. Maybe it's just a noise that sounds like pinging, but isn't.
• Thanks for the tip on the Slick 50 biz. I thought the shop-grade stuff wasn't sold at crappy T, but maybe it is?! Was this the type that runs through the UIM, or the pour-in-the-tank kind? I'm done with the pour-ins. I want chemicals dammit!
• Last point... Shell was tested to have the dirtiest gas in Canada. It was in the Toronto Star a year ago or so. I'll see if I can dig up more info. By dirty, they were looking at emissions... figure the more emissions, the more buildup, deposits, etc...

Massiv.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.