New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coug has 73k and has a pinging issue (detonation???). It's driving me nuts! I use regular 87 octane gas all of the time. Should I get a tune-up (before 100k as recommended)? Or should I take to the dealer and have them check it under warranty ($100 deductable)... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
if switching to the next step up in octane gas & a bottle of Chevron w/ Techron doesnt help, try some GM Liquid Top Engine Cleaner. That stuff soaks into and removes much of the carbon deposits that contribute to detonation. There's also something called Seafoam or something that does the same thing... i did a real quick search and didnt find anything. Ive used the GM stuff before on my 120k old Volvo and it helped.

W

·
0 Posts
Hi there i also have a cougar that pings.My local ford dealer says that they can't ping,it's impossible they said.WRONG.They can.I have tried changing the ignition leads, fitted platinum spark plugs,running higher octane fuel and putting a bottle of engine cleaner through.She still does it.AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHHH.!I have come across a product purely by chance that is made in the U.S.A. Its called a Turbonator and they cost $69.95. If you go to their website www.turbonator.com you can check it out.There is a guy on there who had pinging,he fitted one and it supposedly cured it and gave him better fuel economy.Ithink i am going to get one shipped over here to the uk.Have a look and let me know what you think.When i get mine i will let you know the result.GOOD LUCK.If you manage to cure it will you let me know how.:biggrin:

·
Administrator
24,494 Posts
Use a can of BG 44k fuel system cleaner. If it is a corrosion problem, this will annihilate it INSTANTLY. You will have to buy it from the parts department of a dealership that is BG certified. See the company's website (BG products - not certain of the address) to see what dealers in your area are.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Originally posted by: WOLFRACE
Hi there i also have a cougar that pings.My local ford dealer says that they can't ping,it's impossible they said.WRONG.They can.I have tried changing the ignition leads, fitted platinum spark plugs,running higher octane fuel and putting a bottle of engine cleaner through.She still does it.AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHHH.!I have come across a product purely by chance that is made in the U.S.A. Its called a Turbonator and they cost $69.95. If you go to their website www.turbonator.com you can check it out.There is a guy on there who had pinging,he fitted one and it supposedly cured it and gave him better fuel economy.Ithink i am going to get one shipped over here to the uk.Have a look and let me know what you think.When i get mine i will let you know the result.GOOD LUCK.If you manage to cure it will you let me know how.:biggrin:
Go away troll

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarBalla2k5
Go away troll
WTF?
:confused:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarGT
Originally posted by: CougarBalla2k5
Go away troll
WTF?
:confused:
Turbonator plug :banhim: :bs:

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I believe that our young CougarBalla2k5 is trying to say that WOLFRACE is a represenative of the Turbonator.....or that WOLFY is simply an easily tricked novice who is spreading the word of a useless product.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by: Fett
I believe that our young CougarBalla2k5 is trying to say that WOLFRACE is a represenative of the Turbonator.....or that WOLFY is simply an easily tricked novice who is spreading the word of a useless product.

I tend to believe the latter after looking over his other posts.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Aww Fett, you read me so well.

EDIT - After reviewing his other posts I submit a formal apology based on a Jury of no less than 20 respected NECO gods proving his troll-innocence

P

·
0 Posts
hey man i have a 99 wit 120k and i have pinging, i live in canada, i work part time @ walmart doin oilchanges, tires, all that **** ohh and ENGINE TREATMENTS, k i went for training the other day and they wanted to show us how to do an engine treatment, so i said yo can u do it on my car, so they did, they used slick50 engine treatment, u cant buy it in the store, they only do it in the shop, so basically it is 2 bottles, one goes in the tank on a 3/4 to full tank and they pour the other bottle into this little machine that connects to the hose thats connected to the PCV valve, basiccally that hose is a vacume, so as ur car is running the treatment slowly gets sucked into the hose and goes through ur whole gas flow after about 10 - 15 mins as the process is done, when i reved up my engine, all the **** that was in there had came out, black smoke flyin out the exhaust, honestly the pingin was gone complety, and it felt so clean when i was driving, the cost of this at walmart is $50 CAN, so in the states is about $30, honestly man go to a walmart and ask them to do the slick 50 engine gas treatment, if u do it let me know how u felt about it, later man

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried the Seafoam treatment and it help a little (or maybe its just in my head)... I'm still thinking about the early tune-up and then pulling the UIM and/or the LIM cleaning the hell out of them.

W

·
0 Posts
NO I DONT WORK FOR TURBONATOR AND YES I MUST BE AN EASILY TRICKED NOVICE.Didn't realise turbonator was a swear word.SORRY GUY'S.It sounds good on paper but after the feedback i WONT be getting one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
For general maintenance questions it is sometimes better to look on the Contour site. Same engines as the Cougar.

Here's the link for cleaning the upper and lower intake manifolds. Same general information as PURRRRRR, but in much more detail and different cleaning product available at Walmart.

Cleaning UIM

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have pingin very rarely recently.. prob cause I havent cleaned my uim/lim and fuel filter since the early summer.... but I bought a can of slick 50 fuel system cleaner and put it in tonight.. I'll tell ya how it works out.... (it better.. damn thing cost me $20 bucks)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
NO I DONT WORK FOR TURBONATOR AND YES I MUST BE AN EASILY TRICKED NOVICE.Didn't realise turbonator was a swear word.SORRY GUY'S.It sounds good on paper but after the feedback i WONT be getting one.
Sorry I jumped on you like that man......really sorry. Welcome to NECO ;)

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Nail on the head...

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
OK... so getting back on the topic

The How To Says:
Get a bottle of liquid pourable injector cleaner. The last time I did mine, I used Berryman's B12, but I have used BG, Red Line, and Techron. The cleaner is fed through the vacuum taps on the top of the intake manifold just behind the throttle body. To remove the vacuum line, hold the retaining collar with a small screwdriver while gently prying on the fitting to pull it out of the intake manifold. Remove one line at a time for cleaning.
What is a recommended, easy-to-acquire cleaner, especially up here in Canada (Toronto). Or can someone recommend an online place to pickup "the good stuff" whatever that is.

Thanks,

Massiv.

P.S. VanCityKitty: How did the ole Slick treatment go?

I

·
0 Posts
I bought my '02 Coug new with 12 miles on it and it's pinged since day one. I have always run 93 octane Chevron. 12K miles now and still pinging. I took it into the dealer with 2,000 miles on it and they told me that as long as the check engine light doesn't come on to not worry about it. I live in Texas so the heat is a worsening factor. I switched over to Royal Purple oil at 6,000 miles and the pinging is less evident, but still there. I think it's a timing/programming issue - not a carbon buildup problem. That's made me reluctant to add a chip to the car. I know it can't take any more timing advance. I still keep my foot in it, nonetheless. No probs yet.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts