New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look

Very straightforward install. Once you begin to look and figure out how yr gonna take down the stock exhaust, it all gets figured out very easily. I jacked up the car on both sides just in front of the rear wheels which you can see in the pictures. With the car in the air, after unhooking the battery, the first thing we (me and my dad) concentrated on was unbolting the flange between the cat and exhaust. I spritzed the bolts on the flange a few times with a spray like WD-40 but without lubricants to let it wick down in the threads and break up rust... it apparantly didnt help cuz I had to use my foot on the rachet to break it free and I ended up snapping the bolt anyway. Thankfully ive got about 70lbs of miscellaneous hardware and was able to come up with a suitable replacment. With the bolt broken, I had to Di-grind (air powered diamond wheel cutting tool) off the head of the bolt on the back of the flange and drill it out, and ended up oversizing the hole slightly. The seal at the flange is metal and should easily remain in-tact when you remove it.

what'd i do next... With the flange apart, the cat dropped to the floor cuz of the flex joint behind the y-pipe. I then started picking away at all the exhaust mounts. All they are are little rubber pieces with a hole in each end. To get the stock exhaust off of them, since they have little tits at the end of the hangar pieces, you have to get a screwdriver or a punch or something and get in there and pry it off of the hanger. It was kinda difficult to get the leverage when i was on my back, but I eventually got them all off and the exhaust came down. That aside, I moved on to the YoDude.

I imagined I would assemble the entire yodude on the ground and then lift it up as one big piece but that isnt what ended up happening. With it off the car I only assembled (and had to weld cuz it was used and the way they cut the welds didnt leave much room to clamp) the pipes that go to and from the muffler. This allowed me to mate it to the flange and hang it on the first hanger, supported on a couple appropriately sized boxes... again which you can see in the photos. (Hanging the YoDude was easier than removing the stock system cuz the YoDude has no tits on the hangers) With that done, I just stuck together the other elbow piece and splitter pipe and hung them, too. With That done, i hung both tips. For the passenger side I used a universal exhaust mount i bought from Autozone for like $2. It worked perfectly. Hung like that, it was hanging down quite a bit around the gas tank... but then I tightened up the flange bolts and that took out a lot of slack. I snugged the next clamp down the line, then snugged the ones at the splitter. After that I massaged the fittings to pull out the rest of the sag, positioned the tips so they were symmetrical, and then tightened down all the clamps.

Then I reconnected the battery, put away all my tools, put the car down and started it up. An extremely pleasing note!! :biggrin:
I dunno if the experience reads hasty... cuz i rushed, cuz i want to go drive. Ask me questions if you have any. hope i could help anyone looking to do this install at home.

edit: fixed link
edit edit: The whole job took us about 2.5 hours. Im confident that if my car was clean, I didnt have to weld anything, and I didnt have to cut off and drill out one of the flange bolts, it would have taken me about an hour without stopping for coffee.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
This is a great exhaust how-to! Thank you!

I can't wait to do this!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.