New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are always threads about matrix coilovers on here but I have yet to see a pic of them on a cougar slammed. On cougardb.com they don't looked slammed (or at least I hope thats not slammed cause it doesnt look like a huge drop). So, if anyone could post a pic of a cougar slammed on matrix coilovers that would be great.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The 3 on CougarDB that actually have pics, i think lostracer even has a little more he can go down. The red on is all the way up, and the black one looks maybe 1" drop.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yea i wanna see a pic of a cougar with matrix coilovers slammed....im gettin some in a couple days soo if i dont see any by then then i will do it and show you guys

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
I'll try to get some on sunday for you...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
James, the people that do have them and have tried them dont say anything bad about them. I say GC are the best, but if you havent tried to Matrix, then you should say they suck. And i know your not saying they suck outright, so this isnt a thread against you. I'm just saying to those people that say Matrix sucks, dont say anything until you try them.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Gene:

I say they suck based off of the specs of the kit.... I know the springs rates, the inner diameter of the springs as well as the spring rate... they are UNDERRATED for the cougar's weight... This gives me a very good reason to say they do Suck and you get what you pay for... Universal Coils...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, sometimes people like me can't spend $400 for coilovers and then even more for struts so we take what we can get. If they raise and lower your car then they are doing what they where made to do. And if they are so bad, then why dont the people that have them complain about them all the time. Oh, and thanks LostRacer. I hope you can get some of them slammed.

Robert

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Robert: If you can't afford $400 for coil overs or $220 for a quality set of springs... I would assume you can't afford the repair bill for all the busted items you are going to affect when you try to lower a car on springs that are rated for a honda civic... The shock factor will be sent to other parts of your suspension and they will begin to fail over time... Will it happen in a week? Nah... But in a few months to a year, you will be replacing ball joints, struts, control arms... and new tires...

I am just offering my technical knowledge on the Cougar Suspension... I have ripped it completely apart, now the spring rates needed for the vehicle (WEIGHT) and know what is the minimum you can use for the car... Matrix just doesn't make for a smart purchase...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
James, i know the matrix suck compared to GC, but nobody has ever reported having a problem with matrix on a cougar to date.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
NECO is a limited, but great source of cougar owners.... however only 3 people on Cougadb.com have them... so chances are slim we will see a post.. I get phone calls at my office all the time with people having problems...

Thanks
James

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
James, I actually bought a set of B+G springs from you sometime last year and decided to sell them. I was wanting to buy some gc coilovers, but I am in college and it just never seems to work out. Everytime I have the money it has to go somewhere else. I do trust your knowledge about this subject but no one has complained about them. I wasn't trying to make you mad and act like you dont know what your talking about, its just that some people can't always afford the best. And if someone proved to me right now that these things have messed up a cougars suspension I would not buy them and just wait till I can buy the GC's (which will probably be forever). Plus, I was just wanting to see how low they go.

Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
No Problem... BTW... Wasn't saying GC was the best either... but then again there is not a single post on these forums about the best kit for the cougar so I guess that means its no good either...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Originally posted by: ProjectCougar
NECO is a limited, but great source of cougar owners.... however only 3 people on Cougadb.com have them... so chances are slim we will see a post.. I get phone calls at my office all the time with people having problems...

Thanks
James
James what kind of problems are people having with the matrix coilovers? I was going to buy some next week but after reading this I think that I will save up and get ground control.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Originally posted by: ProjectCougar
No Problem... BTW... Wasn't saying GC was the best either... but then again there is not a single post on these forums about the best kit for the cougar so I guess that means its no good either...
If Ground Control isn't the best then what is?

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
I fully agree that Matrix is really not the way you should go... for the cougar at least.
Really, when dealing with something as important as your suspension, you shouldn't go the cheapest route.
I believe that if you are going to put your life in the hands of something, it should be as close to the best as you can get... this goes for tires, lugnuts, brakes... and suspension stuff.
If you are driving on the highway at 65mph, and hit a bump on cheap coilovers and something snaps because the load weight was too much... that has the potential to cause quite the repair bill.

I'm not just saying to save up for Ground Control cause "oh they are better" i'm saying it because they are SAFER.

and not that im taking James' side, but he did make a good point when he said that 'if you can't afford $400 for coil overs, or $220 for good springs... i assume you can't afford the repair bill for all the busted parts you are going to affect'
which is all the MORE reason to maybe even avoid coilover all together for a while...

its like any other upgrade... you always have to have extra cash "just incase"
When i bought my coil overs, i saved up JUST enough for the coilovers... then shortly after buying them, i realized "oh ****... i need new struts!" and because i didn't have the extra cash, i had to forit buying a new hood.

Point is - if you dont have the cash for GC's you dont have the cash for the repair bill the Matrix's might... will eventually cost you. heh!
so just do the smart thing and keep saving up - you will be happier in the long run :)

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Big Problem... NOT made for cougar....

99-00 Cougars and 01-02 Cougars are completely different on the Rear Suspension....

Ground Control comes complete with bearings... Matrix Does Not...Metal on Metal? Yea not me on a daily driver...

WEIGHT... Does your cougar weigh the same as a Honda? I doubt it... Cougars should use atleast a 2.5" ID, 400 lb/in that is 8" Length

Length - You need atleast an 6" Coil for the cougar... I cannot confirm the Matrix Length, this may not be a problem

Based off the image on Ebay... even the top hats won't fit the cougars rounded strut towers... I forsee this being a problem in the future as well....

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
OK i can help alittle on this. The white car pictured "mine" has GC with the back almost fully dropped and the front 1/2 dropped. The red car pictured has the same height selected but is on Matrix. Almost the same but the red one is lower in the front.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts