New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I don't have a camera. Anyways, using a 20% static cling tint, I applied a cut out design over the outside headlight area to conceal or otherwise mute out the amber lens. It's hardly permanent, but it doesn't look bad. It peels on and off. There aren't any bubbles, it fits tight and stays put. There's a 3.5" slit that runs from the middle front towards the rear. This allows for the curvature in the headlight. When it's lit up, the amber looks ok, and when not, you can't really see it very well. The photoshop I've done on a Cougar headlight captures the idea pretty well. I've been driving around with them on for about a week...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
his...

take the amber out, replace with amber bulb (if you want to stay legal in most states).
this is mine.

looks many times better in my opinion... and is fairly easy/quick to do.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Are you able to remove the amber from the stock 99' headlight. I was already going to paint the plastic insides red to match my car, as it is in this picture. I think it gives it a cool dangerus look, like its ready to attack. It appears in the picture that they just painted over the amber.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think those lense covers, CATerina, are incredible! I am certainly partial to green. . . I guess I just don't have the nerve to take my headlights apart and likely make a mess of things. I can just "peel" my covers off when/if I choose.
And VHull03 - Your solution is great too.
:)

·
Registered
215 Posts
There is something else you could try:

Get some stagelight gel and plexiglass. Cut the plexiglass into the shape of the little triangle that's left after you take out the amber reflector, and then cover the plexi with the gel sheet. You could probably find a tint that's light enough so that if you had an amber bulb inside, it'll show through as amber at night, and it'll be the tint of the gel sheet during the day. I have the stuff to do it myself, except I just haven't gotten around to taking apart my headlights again cause I'm being rather lazy about it =P
Last time I took apart my headlights to paint them, took out the reflectors, but no gel sheet :(

·
Registered
215 Posts
No, if you take out the amber reflector, you'll see that the reflector is not completely flat...there's a little pyramid-type thing extruding from it, which goes into the triangle shaped hole in the headlight "frame".

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Thats not the problem. I had many colors. The thing is not everyone got them to fit. 80% of people that bought them had no problem but the other 20% I didnt want to have any problems. I believe I sold them for $15 shipped

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
what cat sold was a replacement "reflector" cut out of a gel filter..
here is a link for ya so you can make your own replacement. I also recommend using the filter if you change the color of your gauge LCDs - it looks much better than the electrical tape and its much brighter.

Theatrical Stage Lighting @ PartsExpress.com

a full sheet of it is under 3.00 I believe and you could get about 4-6 reflectors outta it - just use your old reflector as a template.. the filter is like a transparency so it will bend to fit the old reflector hole fine..

I think the people that complained about Cats replacement were the people that never really understood what they were getting... so they were a tad miffed at what they received for their 15.00 - I think they thought that it was plastic and not just a thin filter for DJ and Stage lights so perhaps they felt ripped off?????

·
Registered
215 Posts
Don't forget that it's slightly different because those headlights in the pic are aussie headlights...so the moldings are different and there isn't a big gap like that in the US version

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
um.. those aren't aussie headlights.. those are headlights from 01-02 cougars.. the only difference between aussie and 01-02 headlights is the clear corner lense, and the adjustable headlights..

There's a difference between 99-00 and 01-02 headlights, so those ones that Caterina posted won't work for everyone.. You're able to remove the reflectors from both, but they have totally different reflectors, and look diffrently when the reflector is removed. On a 99-00, it can sometimes look like something is missing.. on a 01-02, a removed reflector looks amazing (IMHO).
<u>01-02 on the left, 99-00 on the right</u>

·
Registered
215 Posts
Originally posted by: Aries
um.. those aren't aussie headlights.. those are headlights from 01-02 cougars.. the only difference between aussie and 01-02 headlights is the clear corner lense, and the adjustable headlights..
my bad, i haven't really paid attention to the 01-02 cougars since i have a 99

1 - 20 of 35 Posts