New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever heard of a phantom grip lsd for cougars before and if so how good are they?

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Yes, they are old news and are pretty much crap. They turn your existing WEAK open differential into a jerry rigged Limited Slip Differential. I say they are crap because they use the existing differential that is still weak. Spend the extra money and get the Quaife. The install of the Quaife is actually easier since you simply replace the existing differential and shim it. With this kit, you must spend the same amount of time taking the tranny aparts, except you then have to "rebuild" the stock differential.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for that direct and straight forward answer. quaifes are high and what i would really like so ill keep looking, was just wondering what the deal was with this product i have never heard of.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Your 2 options for a limited slip diff is the Torsen T-2 and the Quaife. They both sell for afound $600, but can be had for less. Prices around the $500 mark are feasible.

·
Registered
517 Posts
yeh the phanton grips are junk. a frind of mine has a del sol with a simple LS motor/tranny swap in it. a few years back we installed a phantom grip and he started having tranny problems. 1st tranny goes boom. we thought we might have done something durring the install so we got a new LS tranny and reinstalled the phanton into it. #2 goes boom. ok we thought maybe were missing something here 2 trannies in 5 months- we must be screwing something up. so the 3rd trany went in and the same results- boom. after that he was fed up with doing tranny changes and although it could be done in about 1 1/2 hours it still sucked. so finally the the 4th tranny didnt get the phantom grip and no problems in over a year. 600 for a quaife is a heck of a deal. no excuse for cheeping out if youre looking for high performance
josh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts