New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did you guys plug the holes that were slotted for the rods? what did you guys plug the holes with?

i removed mine a long time ago, but i never plugged them.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it runs better than before i had the secondary valves in.

i plugged all the holes on the outside, so its perfectly sealed. i just didnt plug each hole that runs through each runner.

im just curious if the people who removed them plugged them or should i not even worry about it.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
dude, i just put in a SVT LIM WITH the butterflies in a couple of hours ago infact, i couldnt stand the major absence of low end power without them.

but to answer your Q, i left the holes between the runners open

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how did you run it? if you rig it up so that you wont get a CEL (1518), then its gonna feel slow below 3000. but if you let the CEL on, its actually quite smooth from 1000-7400rpm (7400rpm in my case). it feels like a gradual powerband opening into a frenzy up top, instead of the kick of power at 3000rpm

i've done both and it feels really slow under 3000 if i rigged a spring on the imrc cable. i just let the cable hang and i get the CEL, but it fixes the no torque feeling.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
ya man i tried that, but the car takes away power up top, i could thoroughly tell the loss in top end power when i did that.

i personally think these rods and butterflies help with airflow, i do want to optimize the butterflies tho with smaller screws etc...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Originally posted by: Instigator
ya man i tried that, but the car takes away power up top, i could thoroughly tell the loss in top end power when i did that.

i personally think these rods and butterflies help with airflow, i do want to optimize the butterflies tho with smaller screws etc...
That makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever!

Having center bar rods & plates through all 12 ports not only takes away from flow area but causes a considerable amount of turbulence and velocity loss.

Removing the plates and plugging the holes picks up the powerband above 4000rpm. Completely the opposite of what you state.
Not only that but it keeps the air form getting hot and stagnant in the secondary ports, speeds up acceleration after shifting, and gives better mid throttle and above performance as well.

Now is losing in town cruising drivability below 2500rpm and a fair amount of low throttle position torque below 3800rpm worth it... That can not be determined by anyone but the driver of said car themself.

Also without the ability to tune the IMRC point you are stuck running with the P1518 CEL to get the low rpm timing increase.
Also cold weather drivability takes a hit as well as the engine is atomizing fuel even worse.

IMO it is probably not worth the trouble on a 2.5L engine and I loved it with mine. I especially loved it when autocrossing or drag racing but then again that nearly describes my normal driving too.

Now a 3L is a different story as the natural increase in overall TQ far exceeds any lost by this mod. Also you would be getting a tuned chip anyway so that takes care of the rest of the "cons" already.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Demon, you misunderstood my statement.

i loved the top end power when the stuff was removed, and i hated the loss of power down low, my car really picked up above 4000 rpm.

mecca told me to take off the IMRC cable hook, and itll smooth out the power delivery and give some power bck in lower rpms.
i tried that, and i didnt get as much power above 4000 rpm as i did with the IMRC cable hooked up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts