New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry Heather but what is the PCV mod?? looks good but i dont know the exact purpose of it...

Vinny

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PCV=Positive Cranckcase Ventilation, which helps reduce the amount of oil recirculated thru the intake manifold.

Rockford--I'll tell Mike about the weapon r but Mike really doesn't like weapon r

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
You can use this without the svt conversion. This is just good to do after the svt conversion since it will keep more oil and sludge from building up after you have so carefully cleaned the manifolds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes we are selling them as kits.
$35 shipped. It doesn't go under the shield, it does go under the MAF tho. Mike can tell you more tho, and he 'should' be posting in a few minutes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. I'll try to hit all the questions. First. The PCV= positve crankcase ventalation is a system that is put in for emissions. Pressure builds up inside the crankcase and instead of venting it to atmosphere they have to vent it back into the intake to recurculate it. The reason for doing that is totally emissions based. What I have found is that these duratec engines kinda suck oil back into the intake during high rpm driving. This will cause a huge build up of sludge and oil inside the intake plenum. This will decrease usable octane, cause turbulence inside the plenum and reduce the air flow volume into the engine.

What I have done is routed the 3 PCV lines into a filter and caped off the 3 holes in the intake. This mod is manly for an aftermarket intake tube as I am not sure how to plug the holes in the stock goose neck.

This mod is for "off-road" use only because it is not emissions legal. It vents the pressure to atmosphere. The oil build up should cease or become drastically reduced. This isn't a horespower mod persay. It's a preventive mod. It'll keep your horsepower where it is for years to come....

I have not seen any CEL's caused by this mod. I have had it on Heathers car for a while and she has never thrown a CEL that was emissions related...all her CELs were stupid.... like close the gas door idiot

·
Registered
728 Posts
what if i just plug the holes in the intake and just leave the hoses open for the EGR and PCV valve with no filter breathers? would anything bad happen by letting out the PCV vapors and EGR vapors just out into the engine bay?

thanks guys

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well... we don't want to totally f" up the environment.... The filter is to keep as much of the oil vapor in the engine as possible and just let out the air pressure. By the way.... this has nothing to do with the EGR. the EGR should be left alone.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If I am gonna clean the intake manifold this weekend what do i use to clean it? I went to the auto parts store and all they had was carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner....no Combustion Chamber Cleaner..... which one do i choose?

Nikolas

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
carb or throttle body cleaner should be fine.... remeber that isnt' the combustion chamber either, thoses are just your intake plenum ports

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
when i have the upper intake off the engine, is it okay for me to spray this stuff down into the lower intake ports? will the car have a hard time starting? with all that gunk and cleaner in the combustion chamber?

I am having a hard time finding a place that has the gaskets in stock, so can i get away with not changing the gaskets out this time?

Nik

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
it would be a better idea to remove both intakes then clean.... i just wouldn't feel very good cleaning up sludge while it's still on the engine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This will work just fine with weapon R right? Which I should be getting soon, thanks Gunmetal. Whens the how to going to be posted or am I blind and missed it already? What all is included in cleaning the intakes? Could someone who has never touched the inside of an engine do it? What precautions do I need to take or things to know. Thanks guys (and girls) Patrick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There seems to be a bit of confusion here.
The PCV is found under the TB and to the right on Duratecs, and yes, it vents the pressure that can be built up in the crank case, although the two pipes that feed normally into the intake are from the cam cover, and are there for extracting oil fumes from the tops of the heads. Valve cover breather can be used on the valve covers, but I personally wouldn't screw with the PCV. It can eeffect idle and if there isn't proper venting could casue your crank case to explode. The vaccum in the manifold ensures that the pressure in controlled in the crank case when the PCV is connected as normal.
I myself have the Valve cover breather, but the PCV is left alone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.