New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad borrowed my car the other day and broke the passenger side mirror assembly backing out of the garage. I should be getting a new mirror in a few days but I was just wondering how to remove it and install the new one. Also, if I were to have my mirrors painted to match my car, how much should I expect to pay?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
actually i removed both mirrors to paint the black part, pull of the door panel by removing the 3 screws along the outer side, then there is a screw behind the cougar emblem, then there is 2 screws behind plugs at the bottom of the front of the door, so total screws to remove is 6. pull the bottom out and lift up to remove door trim. take off the door lock by unsnapping it and pulling down, then unplug the mirror and lock plug, and take away the door trim. bend up the rubber trim at the front of the windows, unplug the motor wiring harness and unscrew the three bolts and pull the mirror straight out. make sure not to drop the nuts down in the door, you will never get them out and you will have have a permanent rattle. to put it back on just reverse the order.

·
Registered
604 Posts
No kidding about dropping things! My neighbour dropped one of his sockets down there, doh! I haven't heard it rattling yet but then again my system is usually too loud.
It was a real ***** to change but we did it without removing the whole door panel, just peeled back that corner enough, but like I said it was rough. You're probably a lot smarter to remove the whole door panel as mprtklr suggested, that would actually be a lot easier.

As for the painted part, is that part of your old mirror still ok? The mirrors come UNPAINTED from Ford. It is prepped I think but not painted. BUT, you can pop that part off the old assembly and pop it into the new one fairly easily. Just pry the glass off the old assembly using a flat-head screw driver or two, and then you can see the retaining clips for the painted part and remove it. Your new mirror will come with the painted part and the glass part not yet installed I believe so you won't have to pry it apart to put the painted piece in.

Hope that helps, but if I can be of any more assistance let me know.

Cheers,
Scott.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.