New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As fewer and fewer of our cars exist each year, I find myself thinking more and more about what parts are going to become impossible to find soon.
In the absence of Duratec Junkyard, I've started thinking that maybe I should start hoarding certain pieces when I do find a Cougar or even a Contour in a junkyard, and was wondering what people think would be worthy pieces to stash away to help our community make it another 20 years.

Any constructive input is welcome.

Here's a few off the top of my head:

Water crossover tube with Coolant temp sensors
head and tail lights (duh)
mirrors
any functional sunroof (duh)
bumper covers and maybe hoods and hatches when feasible. These parts can be re-created right now, but who knows how much longer the molds will be kept around...
glass when feasible
01/02 heads (might not exactly belong on this list because they aren't strictly necessary, but they seem worth saving to me)
01/02 center consoles
Any special trim level badging
Nice wiring harnesses
A/C control panels and Gauge clusters
IMRC including linkages and bushings
the little bushings on top of the UIM
Any SVT parts
Any rear swaybars >18mm
Any embroidered seats or floor mats still intact
Good transmissions when feasible
Factory spoilers and hood scoops

I think in the next few years we will probably start to identify other parts that are no longer being made...things like coolant hoses, subframes, front control arms, etc may start to go extinct but they aren't yet, or they could be custom fabricated easily enough so I left them off.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I'm just inspired by you ;)

·
Administrator
24,394 Posts
I wish I had more space to store crap. I have a ton of pieces but nowhere to put any more. And I’m about to get a whole lot more...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Return engine wiring harnesses.

I leave move everything else, parts are pretty much worthless, everyones broke ass with these cars wants stuff for free.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'd grab a set of front knuckles and keep them to rebuild incase a bearing goes out. I like having parts on a shelf. Let's me work on them at my convenience.

·
See you at CF 2019!
407 Posts
Sounds trivial, but all the push/pull plastic fasteners used in interiors. They don't keep flexing for very long in hot states. Also, Visor clips - same problem. Mmmm - basically all the cheap, supposed to flex, plastic interior parts. Anyone want to send me a box full?

For a while, customizing the door panel switches' LED colors was a big deal, so they could be worth saving. And I'd only bother with 01 & 02 sunroofs. Seems the 99 & 00 break very easily.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good call, I forgot about the visor clips

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Aftermarket exhausts. Borla, etc...
Shifter linkages and cables

I'm gunna be joining you guys in this. The 00 is just too far gone to be worth rebuilding any further. I didn't renew the tags this year, and over winter I'm going to roll it in the garage and strip off the

Powertrain/cooling pack, etc.
Koni's/H&R's/knuckles/stangkillers, etc...
headlights & tail lights
Borla exhaust, racebits y pipe, msds headers

And maybe sell off the 99-00 colored deep cup holder center console.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts