New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While im painting my dash i wanted to take this part of the door off (the part that has the window controls and the locks / door handles) and paint it, xcept i wanted to pain the entire "half circle" where the control panel swoops down to become a oh **** handle and the door pocket, can i remove all of this to paint? or is this a lost cause? thanks.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm not positive, and Crispy would know much better than me, but I don't think that part comes off the door panel. What I would do is take the door panel off, and mask it off really good with high quality body shop masking tape. Prep and paint. If you do a good enough, and careful enough job of masking the whole panel, It should paint relatively easy without leaks through the tape. But, you have to use a good tape, too, like the blue stuff from Home Depot. It's a little pricey, but worth it to reduce the headaches...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try also to contact heather - hugnsmile - she has done a lot of custom door work and might have some tips.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can take the part with the window controls off, but it's a pain in the ass. This may be different with different cars or different years, but with my 2000 ATX, I had to take the door panel off and unplug all the controls first. Then the part where the controls were was plastic welded to the door panel. So I had to go through and melt all everything off so that part came loose. I couldn't get the handle off, so what I ended up doing was taping off the entire rest of the door so that only the handle was showing. Here are some pics to show how it ended up.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Catman is correct.... I did this to Catnip9's car.... I had a hard time re-welding the area back on though...

also: StarShower.. I think you have 2 Heathers mixed up... HugsNSmiles car is stock... like bone stock... but Heather Smiths car is loaded with mods... she's my little mod-side kick... I swear between the 2 of us we could rip out someones complete interior and put it back in blindfolded... heh :biggrin:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, thanks for the help guys, im new to this whole car modding, specially spray painting my interior, so i really appreciate the help.

--

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Good that'll be my next day project...though i'll probably just tape off everything cuz im too lazy to melt it off :)

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts