New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know that black piece that starts from your drivers side door, bubbles over the tach and speedometer, and ends in the middle where the intrument cluster for the A/C and air is? Well can you take it off to paint it and if so how? Is there any way you can pull the middle pieces of the airducts out to paint them? And last but not least if you have a ATX, the black piece that the shift stick is mounted in, does that come off? It unclamps, I've tried it before, but it won't get over the shift stick and I don't think it unscrews or anything. HELP!!!:ugh:

Michelle
Rio Red 99 Cougar V6ATX

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First of all the ATX shifter will have to be removed if you want to change the shift plate, or the console. And if you plan to change shifters then this would be the time to do it.

Secondly, to get the "black piece that bubbles over the tach" off of the dash, you will need to take apart the whole dash piece by piece. I believe that the piece is actually called the shroud. Maybe do a search for that name and see what you come up with. :shrug:

The following link is a "Crispy How-To" showing how to take apart the dash. Comes in very handy :cool:

link

Maybe others can help more?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Yes all of that is paintable many many many of the members have done it!! I believe if you do a search you will find a how to!!! From what I understand Crispy is one of the best so she would be a good source of info.!

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
The upper dash can be painted as well as the vents... I am unsure about the ATX thing cause I sold my ATX and now have an MTX... Taking the dash part has alot of screws in alot of tricky positions. There is a how to online about Gauge Install... Use that to get the dash off and you will be fine...

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
You can check out my detailed ATX shifter removal how-to here:

Removal of ATX Shifter

There are two separate posts. In the first one, I just give simple steps to remove it, about three posts down, I go through a dozen detailed steps, so that you don't destroy the OD button :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot guys for all the info. I appreciate it. We'll see how it turns out. Hope to see Project Cougar at the car show in VA Beach on the 19th.

Michelle
Rio Red 99 Cougar V6ATX

·
Registered
240 Posts
i do have a question about the overdrive button itself. Is it a momentary button or a two position button

Jester

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: Jester
i do have a question about the overdrive button itself. Is it a momentary button or a two position button

Jester
It's momentary, and it is not necessary to be hooked up to run the car. You can just tap the two wires together to change the option.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have screwed up my dome shroud so badly! Has anyone made it look really nice? Crispy was supposed to help me with it, but our schedules never worked out, and she didn't want to ship me one. I have spent a fortune on paint, as well as tons of time, and probably screwed up my shroud beyond repair. I am working on it now, perhaps it is salvagable. I painted the rest of the interior perfectly, including the trim around the roof line (A pillars, B pillars, rear pillars and hatch). My interior is starting to look really sweet, just that friggin dome shroud. Anyways, lemme know if anyone has any advice. BTW Michelle, not to sound too forward, but is that really you in that picture. If so, WOW

I didn't realize beautiful girls modified cars. There is a theory that the goofy people of the world are into cars, so they can attract the opposite sex, or just look cool :cool:
Hmm, works for me. My car gets plenty of looks, so what if they aren't really interested in me, right? ;)
Anyways, don't take it the wrong way, it was a compliment.
Lemme know how the interior turns out.
Thanks,
Nic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts