New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few of these done and was wondering if you just painted it like the rest of the dash or if youhad to do something special. Isn't the glove box got a vinyl covering on it?? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
298 Posts
i had mine all painted along wit the top of the doors center console and the hvac face plate n air bag cover n all i did was spray some adhesive on it(called bull dog adhesive) i got it from carquest then once it was dry i just sprayed my color i never primed or anything n mine never chipped off or anything i took everything out this winter tho n i am sanding the whole dash jsut because i dont want any lines in it i just want it to be all smooth like the exterior, but if you are going to use a spray gun then id recommend to use a Flex primer sand then spray your basecoat/clear -Justin-

·
Registered
954 Posts
the glove box has a rough texture just like the piece below the steering column (if you painted that)...it's not smooth like the pieces around the cd player + heater controls. Sand it down until it is really smooth, prime like 5 times, sanding in between, then paint quite a few times and clear coat a lot. SO YEAH, just like dash basically.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
No need to sand it, I just rubbed mineral spirits/paint thinner (NOT Laquer) over it and sprayed away, came out just fine.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Excelcier - love the led's in the handle, how the hell does that work??? explain perhaps? i've never seen that.

Crispy Treat - If I see that picture of your interior one more time! ...I'm seriously anxious to see the 2004 look...stuff better change...wanna seel your interior? ;)

Zman - He wants it smooth. Sanding it would be best for a smooth feel.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I'm currently working on a fiberglass project that should be done within 2 weeks... I pulled out the screen and moved its position to the shroud and everything else is moving up so I can mount my bass boost knobs and get my HU in the correct spot.. with that flip out face its sort of a pain ya know.. (the pic shows me in Neutral with the car running)

I plan on redoing the entire trunk/back seat area later this year.. I'll be doing it all by myself so it's gonna take some time for mock up and whatnot - I hope to have the car 100% done by Cougar Fest.. Version 2.5 should be ready next month.. 3.0 will be WAY better though.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I had a problem with the previous paint on the glove box rubbing off. The factory grey just started to rub off with a slight brush of someones jeans. Its a semi-gloss black under the grey, but I stripped all the grey off and just sprayed about 6 layers of clear coat on it, so far so good. No pic as to im doing it right now coincidentally. I want to have the dash all done before pics go up, even though its really basic, just slightly better than a stock interior.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Excelcier - love the led's in the handle, how the hell does that work??? explain perhaps? i've never seen that.
Of course you haven't seen it before... it's another stepping stone on my path to strive to do simple unique things that no one else has done yet ( until I get copied... )

It's simply an LED in the handle... looks cool at night. I got most of my interior redone this winter with some other very UNIQUE cool things that I've never seen on anyone elses car yet too ( for now )...

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Where did you getthat shift knob. I can't find a decent ATX shift knob for my coug anywhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts