New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just curious, those of you who have your dash painted, how much did it cost? I just want some reference for when I go to get mine done.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
$0 for me, did it myself.

A bodyshop would do the entire dash for $100-$150 (that's for the cowl, headlight switch cover, center radio console, vents, shift plate (on ATX), ashtray, and that piece around the ciggy plug.

Mike

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
well, not $0...

i had to pay for the paint :) - but yeah, did it myself too... the whole thing, including the a,b,c pillars and trunk pillars.
its such a simple job that you might as WELL do it yourself.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Originally posted by: Q4kntmare
If your looking for custom work, try here Custom Air brush
I got quoted 1800 for dash and door panels :p

$1800...

Looks like she does good work...but just for the dash and door panels...thats CRAZY. How would you paint the door panels and have it come out nice with the details??

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
badass! shes exactly what i've been looking for actually :tongue:

i don't want $1800 worth of work done, but i've been looking around for an airbrush artist like that!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to get the interior pieces clear coated, but isnt there a nasty glare off of it??

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
No problem with glare with clearcoat with the pieces that I painted. However, if you're planning in painting the entire shroud (that big dome piece over the instrument cluster), you may want to skip on the clearcoat at least on that piece, or plan on covering it with a tshirt or a towel when you're driving :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yep... I know this one first hand! My dash is very pretty and really shiny, but chrome/aluminum paint and 3 coats of clear coat make for a really bright driving experience when the sun is in front of you. I have actually gotten used to it. It doesn't bother me that much anymore - I just wear sunglasses now!

S

·
0 Posts
yeah, i painted everything on my shroud except for the bubble right over the instrument pod...

and i did it myself... spent around 30 dollars for everything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Id do it myself, but im pretty new to this and Ive never done anything like it before, so I really dont want to f**k it up, know what I mean. I have a good connection with a body shop, they do work for me real cheap, I think im having them paint my calipers as well.

D

·
0 Posts
everyone's gotta start somewhere

i have never done anything to a car, and i don't know much but a friend of mine is helping me out when it comes to modding my cougar, hopefully i can learn some things from him

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If i do attempt it myself, when I get the paint what should i use to spray it on, any suggestions or instruction would be helpful, im definately going to sand and prep it myself, just still not positive about the paint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts