New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, if anyone has even looked into this. (Craig maybe) I want to paint the parts that everyone isn't painting, like where the air bag goes and stuff... anyhow I want to paint everything else of my dash black - not dark grey but i'm weary that it would crack as the plastic/vinyl is quite soft and squishy... maybe there's some kind of solution you can apply to it to make it hard, i don't really care or in fact really want a soft squishy dash anymore, i just want a smooth black look to it....

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
I'm curious about the same thing. I was just going to ask about it after I got my glovebox painted today. I'm just looking to do parts of it though, not the whole thing.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rockford would you please find out what kind of dye he used.... i want to do it black so i'm sure they make it in black

·
Registered
378 Posts
Puck... Keep in mind that when using dye you only get one shot. I bought a new dash pad for my Mustang and messed up a little when dying it and that's it.... Good luck and post pics....

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I always wanted to paint that airbag cover but I hear that if you try to disconnect that panel from underneath its dangerous.... reguardless Puck that sounds awesome.... Please do it and post pictures....

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The duplicolor dye works great. I did my headliner with it and my friend did sections of his leather seats in his car with it. 2 months ago and not cracked! So, I'm sure you can get it to your specs. They come in black, silver, tan, and white at my shop for $3.99 each. Just be careful-duplicolor has a very wide spray pattern.

G

·
Crispy to avert mistakenly setting off the airbags, you have to unhook the battery 15 minutes before you disconnect any airbag. I was worrying my ass off when I was reconnecting my side airbags, but all was good.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, the paint show near my house sells Duplicolor products, i'll check them out.... so does this stuff come in a spray can?

I'm prolly gonna have to take the dash right out, anyone ever try this yet? anything i should be worried about?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Puckpuck, I want to do the same thing eventually after I get all the performance stuff that I want. But since you chose black, I'm going to choose Racing Red. Ha ha... called it!
Ever since I saw a classic 300SL Gullwing with a silver body and red leather interior, I've always wanted eventually have a car with the same colour setup.

For some reason I hate changing anything to the body work but when it comes to the interior, I wouldn't mind changing everything as long as its tasteful. I guess its because I have this notion in my head that the interior is my personal space whereas the body kinda also belongs to the rest of the world.... Anyway... Instead of painting the dash, I was wondering if it was at all possible to have a leather surface instead... I'm not taking Connely hides here... Dyed McDonald-cow-leather like that of the Lincolns and Caddy's would be fine for me... And with that nice stitching here and there like the BMWs and Mercedes especially around the sharper contours of the dash...

Also, has anyone thought of filling up (or molding?) that gap between the ashtray/lighter and the radio? I don't think I heard anyone mention it before, but I think that if that gap was filled in it would look much better. I think it could be one of those little details that can really set a car apart from the others.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
molding that gap would mean you can never take your console out without breaking the mold

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.