New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after this incident, i'm suspecting that i'll have even MORE scratches in my paint, so i'm thinking of just getting all the scratches and little dings taken care of by repainting the whole car. Another thing that has pointed me in that direction is that one of my buddies is in process of closing on a garage. i don't want to change the color, i love the black color. i haven't even talked to him about this yet, so with this in mind what i want to get an idea of is...

-i take it so long as the car is clean that the car can just be repainted right over the clear coat on there now?
-How much paint will it take to cover the car with enough layers, plus a body kit, wing, head covers, tail covers, fog covers and grille insert?
-Is a pearl coat nothing more than a little color in the clear coat? If so, what colors simply won't work for a pearl coat (Well, other than black obviously on my black car.)

Thanks.

·
Administrator
11,562 Posts
They'd probably take it down to the clearcoat & go from there. You can make their job easier by masking off parts of the car for them (window trim, antenna, wipers...etc). Pearl coat goes on under the clearcoat, any color should show up well w/black. I'd say a subtle purple or even crimson.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I think you should sand the car smooth first to get rid of all the scratches and dings. And i think a silver pearl would look hot on a black car.

·
Registered
404 Posts
a pearl is a lot more than just a little color dumped into the clear coat. a pigmented clear coat is known as a "candy coat". pearl is actual prismatic beads in a clear coat. the problem with pearls, that makes them so expensive, is the labor time to get it mixed the right way...

im thinkin a green pearl on a black car would look hot...

as has been said before...you get what you pay for.

im sure that there are shops out there that can do it as simply as respraying over the damaged spots, but a proper blend involves lots of prep work, then feathering, then using several different mixtures of clears (some with a clear-etch, one with a flex agent, then a plain clear).

shop around. it might just be worth saving up the money and having the whole car redone...that way you can throw some custom stuff in there.

lAdZ

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
We don't charge extra for pearl other than the materials. You need a clear base coat and a tube of the pearl powder.

Nearly all the cars we do we use pearls on unless it's a wild color to begin with.

As far as prepping your car for paint let that up to the body shop. They'd block the whole car down with say 220 grit paper to find all the little dings. The little dings would be filled and then sanded and those areas would be primed. After the whole car is cleaned up and ding free they'd spray a sealer to get rid of the fine scratches from the last sanding of prep work and then lay the base coat/ pearl coat/ and then lay down the clear.

The more pearl coats applied the deaper the color looks and more prismatic it will be. The Neon we did for Aerogear's Nopi display had 5 layers of fine blue pearl.

·
Registered
404 Posts
id go with craigs advice.

i just base my knowledge off collision repair and the wonderful people at ASE and I-Car.

im sure a place that does custom work will be a lot better than a regular collision/body shop.

lAdZ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts