New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is an acura down my block that is all black and has the lettering saying ACURA on the back (which are originally chrome) painted black and it looks really nice and i've seen this on a few cars before (black cars that is) and my question is has anyone attempted painting the chrome emblem letters and if so what kind of paint did u use? did u use any clear cloat? and can u provide any pics?

i wanna basically space out C O U G A R on the back of my black ATX, shave off the V6 and have it so the letters are black

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
id say peel them off, and scuff them a little bit, use a fine grit sand paper. prime them, then spray them with your desired paint, clear if you want. and then use some emblem glue, you can buy that from advanced auto parts, napa, any other auto store should carry it.

now that you mention it, that would look pretty cool with the emblems the same color as the car or a different color. im still looking for some one who can cast plastic so i can get some custom lettering done.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
What would the point of this be? You're really not going to be able to see the letters unless you're right up on it. If you really want to do this, though, just go to the dealer and get a new set of Cougar letters, then spray them and install them. It's a hell of a lot easier than trying to take the old sticky stuff off and put new stuff on... maybe gold would look nice on a black Cougar, but black on black?

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
bah! Keliente is drunk on her own sense of power, we don't need her! :cover: - j/k Kel :biggrin:

I think Jason has told us all the fastest, easiest way to do it :)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Sounds like a pretty cool secret kind of mod. They are the best ones to me, the ones people notice after its been on your car for weeks. I had a black cougar and had a black neco decal and a few others on the outside of tinted windows and people could barely see them, but i knew they were there and thats pretty much all that matters when it comes to YOUR car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the way I see it is that from far away it looks like a clean shaved look but only up close you notice the letters...

another way to look at it: its like the carbon fiber tail light covers, from far away it looks like greyish covers but only up close or fairly close enough you will notice they are of carbon fiber look

and thanx to all who replied. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
might as well get them professionally painted while you're at it..that way it will look like it's part of the car. I sprayed mine black when I still had them....but that was when I moved the "COUGAR" to the cigarette ashtray :smoke-g:

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts