New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I bought some diamond plate floormats from a NECO member... I didnt know they were home made, so theyre pretty thin, and on top of it they were painted, now I knew they were painted before I got them, but now that I seen them in person, they seemed painted very poorly they are blotchy and have pieces of sand in the paint, he used the duplicolor blue metallic paint, and clearcoated them, my question is, what would be the best way to go about repainting them, I thought about sanding them down, and hopefully they could look like metal again, but like I said theyre very thin, so im thinking they may scratch real easy, and I dont want them looking all scratched up... if It came down to it I could repaint them better, but whats the best thing to do?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
my floormats were thin too, and they scratch VERY easily. Wouldn't the paint get scratched off too? I imagine chips of paint would start to appear followed by the paint coming right off. Well anyway, just spray a couple coats of primer filler to build up some layers, then respray it and clearcoat it.

Mike

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
You could get them back to bare metal, but severly ruin the texture of the metal. Forget about any type of metal shine , you would need to do just what 99CouGSweetRide said, and thats about it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so sanding them down to bare metal is outta the question then? damn... I really dont like the paint, and on top of it with all the clear coat they feel like plastic...

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Didn't you buy them from Cougaritus??? Why not just pm him and ask him :shrug:

·
Registered
884 Posts
just pull out some paint thinner or laquer thinner and wipe it off. That stuff cant hurt metal.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
I bought my floormats from customcougars - they were the thin ones too...
anyway, after a summer of using them, they got pretty scratched up, and just not very pretty / shiny.

so what i actually did was just went out and bought chrome paint...

bah - here... i took pictures, its easier to show :)

Edit- yikes! a little dusty! sorry bout that! heh, i didn't notice until i saw the pictures!

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
chrome paint tends to rub off.... as in take your hand over it and rub and it should be all shiny and silver... good idea but I tend to hate chrome paint for that reason and secondly you can't clear coat it

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: Crispy
chrome paint tends to rub off.... as in take your hand over it and rub and it should be all shiny and silver... good idea but I tend to hate chrome paint for that reason and secondly you can't clear coat it
Crispy... would you stop thinking about "rubbing off" for just 2 minutes... :rofl:

ya - it does, and ya, you cant clear coat it cause it turns a very dull gray color... i'm using the floormats just for show now. - sucks, but at least they look good and clean :)

heh! glad ya like that pic Tygerr :biggrin:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SO I SHOULD be able to just put some paint thinner and get it all metalic again? cuz thats what I really wanna do, but only if the metal is gonna get messed up from using it...

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Paint them chrome... those mats have been a few different paint colors before... just to let you know... these is silver frost paint underneath the blue...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But with the thinner I should still be able to go to the original metal right? I mean just keep going till no more paint is left, right?

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
right... you will have to most likely SOAK them in lacquer thinner though seeing as how it sounds like there are layers and layers of paint .. just as a preventive measure I want to state that I told you to soak em just cuz they are metal... so please do not think that ANYTHING can be soaked in lacquer thinner and that Crispy told ya to soak your dash vents or anything...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
hey Crispy... did you forget about that stuff we used on your valve covers?? paint stripper is what you want. paint thinner will take forever.

once you get the paint off get a small bench grinder and put a buffing wheel on it. You will then be able to blind people with how shiny they will be.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
that stuff is like professional grade thou.. where do you get it.. and yes, I agree PAINT THINNER is gonna take forever.. LACQUER THINNER is the shizzy

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
any paint store should have paint stripper. This stuff was just industrial strength. may also look for gasket remover at part stores.

Any industrial supply house would also have the stuff I had.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts