New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a how to about painting dash. Is it better to take off the dash, and if so how do i do it? Also what types of paint should be used?:beer:

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Here is the link to Crispy's dash removal How-to. Dash removal

You need to remove all the peices to paint them....at least to do it correctly. Remove them and strip them off any and all components, ie. headlight knob. Wash them all off with Dawn, then sand them all down with 400 grit paper. Wipe them clean of all sanded dust. Spray them with sandable primer, use the white sandable primer for plastics. Use several thin coats, and let dry. When completly dry, lightly sand them all down with 600 or 1000 grit paper, wipe down with cloth to remove sanded dust. Now paint them with your base color, be sure to use several thin coats, allowing each coat to dry before applying the next coat. When dry, follow the same steps with a clear coat. Allow to dry at LEAST 24 hours, then re-install. Becareful with them, it takes a few weeks to cure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cure = harden. You should always let paint cure for (at least) 24hrs to ensure that you don't do any damage to the paintjob you've worked so hard on... The waiting is agony, yes, but you'll be glad you did when it comes out looking pimp!

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Yea, take your time when doing this. I took a few days for my dash...thankfully I have a second set of dash peices. :) I primered and base painted in the same day, but then I let it sit for 24 hours before putting on my coats of clear coat. Then I waited another 24 hours before putting the peices in my car.

We hurried Nolas dash, and did it in a day. It turned out kind of blotchy, and doesn't look all that smooth. (color that is, not texture).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is it possible to do it without taking the pieces out? I know im dumb but i ont have anyone to help me an ive never done this type of stuf before.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
you MUST remove all the pieces.... its nothing that hard... just follow the how-to exactly... its something that I can do in like 5 minutes flat now... :biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts