New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it? what sort of paint is used? I don't mean the whole dash, but just around the instrument cluster, and air conditioning.. yah know, where everyone does it! :p

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
How-To

A lot of people use Duplicolor paint, including myself. Get yourself a can of primer and clear while you're at it too.

Mike

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought some aluminum colored. So it would match the grill mesh im gonna get.. Hopefully i won't mess it up :) which shoudln't be hard im more worried about doing the taili lights i don't wanna get paint on the bulged out part. any opinions on how to cover? petrolium jelly? or just paper and tape?

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
I just bought the cheap 99 cent spray paint at Wal-Mart's Home improvement section.. Works fine for me, and cheap as hell!

And yeah, just tape off that part up there. MAke sure it is air tight, and no leaks wherever you tape off, cuz the overspray mist can still creep through there..

·
Registered
316 Posts
hmm let me think for two seconds...
oh yeah I remember!!!

vinyl dye by vinylkote = $120
dupicolor with clearcote and primer = $60
krylonfusion = $20
stupid questions.... priceless (not everyone has $120 to drop just to color thier dash, sure it looks good but a lot more expensive!)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I didn't realize my "flame-bait" sign was showing.

LOL, thanks for the "stupid questions" comment! I hadn't realized I asked one! By the way, I figure vinyl dye is - what - $10-$15 a can? So it takes you 10 cans to do those few pieces that the original poster asked about?

Of course, some people take their entire dash to a paint shop - probably more than your $60 estimate. Or what about that carbon fiber dash? I bet that wasn't under your $120 estimate.

Point is - it wasn't a stupid question, just a senseless and ill-mannered reply.

Oh, thanks for the offer to rework my bloated sig - I took care of that for you.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Come on guys be nice...can't we all just get along...

Back on topic.

I just used a can of the krylon fusion as a primer since it is designed for plastic. Then get what ever paint that you want. The fusion bonds to the plastic really well and the other paint bonds well to the fusion. Put a layer or 2 of clear and all is good. I know 4sfactor did it this way with his sill plates and they have held up really well, they don't get scuffed and if they do it is easy to get it out and clean them up.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Found this "walk thru" for it and it is going to be a pretty sturdy job that should last for quite awhile.

1. Use 3 coats of krylon fusion instead of primer, THNIN LAYERS ONLY!
2. Let it dry for about 2 hours. Maybe more depending on temp and humidity.
3. If you are doing a metallic color, apply 2-3 coats of Duplicolor Metalcast otherwise skip to step 5.
4. Wait another 30 minutes.
5. apply multiple coats of mtallic or regular paint until desired look. Make sure to apply only light coats or paint may run. If paint runs, wait 2-3 hours until completely dry then wet sand with 800 & 1200 grit sandpaper. Wash throughly with soap and water and let dry completely. If there is any moisture the paint will bubble.
6. Apply 2-4 coats of glossy or matte laquer depending on the appearance you want.

Over all make sure you follow the directions that are on the can in regards to drying times. If you use a laquer it take about 5+ days to dry completely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.