New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm getting ready to paint my dash yellow and I already have the dash removal how-to, and have a pretty good idea how to paint it. I was just wondering if there was a complete how to all together so i don't have to flip back and forth through my papers. Also, what kind of paint do i have to use, and where do i get it??

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
you can just go to any automotive parts supply store for the paint... you don't need anything fancy. (unless you WANT :tongue: )

just remember... the finished product will only be as good as your 'prep' work...

Make sure you CLEAN the dash peices really well first
the prime them with sandable grey primer
then paint (yellow in your case)
then clearcoat when your all done

Just take your time, mine took 2 weeks working on and off (and I used an airbrush)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
yup. its more about how you prep each peice. wash, prim etc. Basically prep it like any other peice you would be painting. What i did was sand with 250 then 400 then washed them. primed the peices. Sanded the primer with 600-1000. Paint evenly. I'm happy with my results but will be redoing it new the spring since im a little to much of a perfectionist.

hey matt did you ever put your z3's and bodykit on there?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Question: How do you remove that piece of the console that's in the middle of the car (in between the driver and passenger seat, where the e-brake comes out of) I can't find how to do it in any of the dash painting how-to's?

Mike

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Or i'll give you an easier one...on the passenger side you have that round single vent, then above it you have another plastic vent: how do you take that out? Does it just pop out? I'm afraid to use too much force cuz it might breake.

Mike

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
whoa, damn... lots of questions!

ok first Sapien - Thank you! :)

99CouGSweetRide - the center consol thing is a little tricky... its glued at the top (near the armrest) and I kinda had to "snap" it off... Don't worry, you can hot-glue it back later... so its not permanent.
then the front near the dash, just takes a bit of careful wiggling to get it out :)

AND as far as I know, that smaller vent up on the dash, behind the passenger circular vent - does just snap out.

XR2002 - I cant think of any diffrences other than using a black color primer, would make the finished job a few shades darker... since black is darker than grey, it would probably affect the finished product.

I used a grey primer... and actually I find the dash a bit too bright-red in the sunlight...
I'm sure if I had used a black primer, then it wouldn't have turned out like that.

any more questions? :)

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
OK so that seam by the e-brake (where the color changes from a light grey to a darker color) snaps right out, and i can use some type of adhesive to put it back together? Sounds good. thank you now i can finally finish painting my interior ;)

Mike

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a question. Do I have to remove my atx shift knob to take out the center part? I've got it all taken apart except for the center console. I'm trying to paint the light grey on the center console the same color as I have the rest of the dash and aslo I'd like to take out the black peice where the shift arm comes out of and repaint that too, but how do i get it out?

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
To take out the center dealey (MTX STYLE)...
1)pop out the ashtray and the fascia around the cig lighter, remove two screws and set aside
2)each footpanel has a screw at the end covered by a plastic cap, take off the cap with a butter knife or w/e and remove the screws and set aside
3)open the compartment (Armrest) remove the 3 screws on the bottom and set aside
4)where you removed the ashtray there is the black trim for the shift boot, pull on in and it will pop up/out, do this for the entire boot
5)pull back and up slightly on the entire center dealy to dislodge it from the main dash section
6)lift the entire dealy up from the back and remove the ebrake from its boot
7)pass the shift boot through the gap
8)have a beer, pass go, collect $200

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts