New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some paint today for painting the calipers. I chose red Plasi-Kote Caliper paint. I was talking to the guy at Checker Auto and he highly recommended that I take the calipers off to paint them because it will most likely overspray on the rotor or worse the brake pad? Just out of curiousity for those of you that have done this already, did you take yours off? I believe I've read in here that some people use paper plates to cover the rotor and brake pad and that worked just fine? Just getting opinions I guess as I don't want to mess anything up.

Marc

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I'm pretty sure everyone that has done it just taped/covered the rotors and left the calipers on. If you take them off, you'll have to bleed the brakes and possibly get air in the system. It just doesn't seem worth the trouble.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
besides, if you get paint on your rotor or inside your brake pad, its not a big deal. You'll just scrape it off the next time you use your breaks. As for the pads, painting the outside of the pad actually looks nice! Thats how I did it, except if I ever have to change the pads I guess I'll have to repaint.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
garbage bags my good man :)
or plastic grocery bags... just use 2 or 3 to cover everything, and tape the rest off.

i havent done this myself yet, but i know thats how its done :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep...thank you ND4SPD for posting that! I don't know how many times I've posted my caliper paint how-to, but I must say that hands-down the best way to prevent overspray onto the rotor is by using the plastic grocery bags...generally 2 per caliper work best - 1 to cover the rotor (should be "tucked" under/behind the caliper as best as possible with a screwdriver, etc.) and the second to wrap around all the stuff behind the rotors. Some people go as far as to mask off the inside of the wheel well and even some of the fender, but if done on a calm day you should not have a problem. Also, plan on using new bags for each caliper. Trying to put already-painted bags on will just be more trouble than the 0.000001 cents the bags are worth.

Keep just a few things in mind:

1) Use many...(less than 4 and you're wrong)...light coats of paint.
2) Take your time - allow the paint to dry to the touch between coats
3) Unless you're a mechanic, don't mess with your brake system. ...C'mon! It's your Brakes!!! Just use the bags. SO much easier.
4) Let the paint dry for (ideally) 24 hrs, if not at LEAST overnight, before driving.

Best of luck! Any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts