New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to paint my calipers, which type of paint would be the prime choice for this task?

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
There is actual paint that's marketed as "Caliper Paint" that you can find in your local auto parts store, but you can use any high-temperature paint. IIRC they say 500* paint or some other high temp.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
i used a brand called "Plasti-kote" on my calipers and they came out cool, but Dupli-color has an Engine Enamel that has more of an Anodized look if that's what you're going for.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Duplicolor metalcast

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Duplicolor Metalcast is rated at 500* intermittently. i'm not sure if brakes will reach that temperature even intermittently, but that's why i suggested paints that were meant for use for high temps.

·
Registered
256 Posts
what would be the best way to paint them?
ive seen people put newspaper all around it while still on the car and spray it...
while ive seen people take the calipers off the car and paint then put them in the oven to let it set?
just nother one of those cheap mods that make the car a bit nicer
:) ~ian

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Who takes them off and puts them in the oven? :shrug:

i pulled the caliper off the bracket, supported it, removed all the rust with a wire brush and then hit them with 4-5 good layers and then 2 layers of high temp clear. Just make sure you cover any area that may get overspray on it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
You could take everything apart if you have the time and tools. But after thoroughly cleaning and drying I simply used some plastic grocery bags to cover the rotors and masking tape to cover the smaller stuff and mine turned out great. That was back in Mar 2001 and below is a pic of what they still look like today.

Don't forget a couple light coats of hi-temp primer too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I did the same thing Morph did with the bags and tape. Just be sure to brush all the dirt and rust out of every crevice or the paint will flake off. The paint I use was Dupli-Color engine enamel in silver...which is hell to find now- if anyone finds a few cans, ill sell 20% of my soul.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Originally posted by: Lukydogg
I did the same thing Morph did with the bags and tape. Just be sure to brush all the dirt and rust out of every crevice or the paint will flake off. The paint I use was Dupli-Color engine enamel in silver...which is hell to find now- if anyone finds a few cans, ill sell 20% of my soul.
duplicolor has an aluminum engine enamel that looks nice when sprayed on the calipers. not anodised but not grey looking. i went from yellow calipers, to bright green then to silver just before cougarfest 2k4.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by: jojolmnop
Originally posted by: Lukydogg
duplicolor has an aluminum engine enamel that looks nice when sprayed on the calipers. not anodised but not grey looking. i went from yellow calipers, to bright green then to silver just before cougarfest 2k4.
How does one go about "repainting" already painted calipers a different color?

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
I used a dremel to get rid of the old color... then painted them a nice
matte black... so much easier to keep clean... .:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I don't have a dremel :p Are there any chemicals in conjunction with certain sandpaper-ish type things I could use?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
actually, i sprayed the crap outta it with brake cleaner and it loosened some of the messed up parts, then scuffed and scraped off what i could with a wire brush. after that, there was still some paint left so just painted over it with about five or so coats of the engine enamel. no problems as of yet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds wonderful...but I'm looking for a better way to paint it--namely by removing the brake calipers...how do I go about removing and reattaching them?

·
Registered
521 Posts
^^^you got to work smarter not harder. Its a lot less time consuming to leave them on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts