New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I just spent a boatload of cash on my exhaust, my broke-ass could not afford those SSR GT1 rims I've been drooling over. Still, I was plain sick of looking at my stock rims and their dull light gray finish. While I was at NAPA buying my hi-temp paint, I saw this stuff called "instant chrome enamel paint." It looked cool, and it was only $5 so a I bought a can. I sprayed a little on a plastic bucket. Turns out that it's isn't really chrome, but a very metallic, very bright silver. While I was deciding whether or not to paint my grill, the idea hit me. I went into my trunk and pulled out my spare tire. I started painting the black rim with my "chrome" paint. It looked sweet as hell. I wanted my stock rims to shine like that. So I took of my center caps, cleaned my rims completely, and covered everything I didn't want to paint (tires, body of car...) with masking tape. Then I went to work. When all was said and done, I sprayed 3 fairly light coats on each wheel and center cap. It looks gorgreous. Best $5 I ever spent on this car.

G

·
That's exactly what I'm thinking... use my stock rims during the winter, and still have the ride looking nice....

Shon

·
Registered
625 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking......actually I was thinking"if it only takes a 5$ can o paint from pepboys, why don't people have different colored wheels, (yello , white, ect.)Ohhhhhhhhh, because that that crap's gonna chip off in about two weeks.... I would keep a good stock of that miricle paint if I were you..hehehe

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I did clearcoat them, FWIW

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly, Craig is probably right... part of why I did it is because one of my rims was scratched to ****.

They still look really good 3 days and 1 washing later, but we shall see. If they need retouching every few months, that can tide me over until I can afford some new lightweight rims.

I don't have a digital camera, but I would describe the color as a light, very metallic, very shimmery silver. If they hold up well, I'll post some pics, but I wouldn't encourage doing this to perfectly healthy rims.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.