New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any comments? I would like to do one of these soon, but i am afraid that the dash kit will look cheap and tacky . . . but . . . it is so fast and simple (just stick it on) . . . anyone have the brushed aluminum dash kit and have anything to say for it . . . . and has anyone had any experience with them peeling off . . . i also think that it looks so awesome with a painted dash . . . what should i do?

Josh

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been looking at the aluminum dash kit as well and would like to know the answer too.
I've read in some other posts that if you paint the dash your best bet is to remove it and take it in to a shop to have it done.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Where'd you read that? I think it's best to do it yourself, cuz it saves you money, and you learn a skill.. It's one of the first things I did with my car. It's not hard to do, and it's easy to fix if you happen to screw up. Next thing you know, you'll be painting everything... Headlights, Calipers, computer case, speaker grilles, etc...

A shop would charge you several hundreds of dollars to paint the entire dash, when you could spend a weekend and $20 to do it yourself.

The difference between a dash kit and painting the dash is if you ever plan on selling the cougar anytime soon. painting the dash is hard to reverse, while a dash kit can be simply peeled off. I've seen a few dash kits and I don't think they look all that bad. It's all subjective on what you wanna do with your car.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
a shop might charge you a lot of money to paint the dash, but it will look 100 times better than if you do it yourself. It will look and feel just like your exterior paint. As for the dash kits, let me tell you the other day I was talking to some guy with a hooked up cougar and noticed he had the carbon fiber dash kit, and it looked AMAZING. If my dash wasn't already painted I would have gotten that.

Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
i have a cardon fiber dash kit and all the guys at school think it looks pretty sweet. I too find myself liking it eventhough i dont have a carbon fiber hood or anything. mine acctually goes all the way down to my radio and down o the arm rest. I even have it on the surrounding the "window up and down button"

·
Registered
211 Posts
actually im putting in my dash kit tonight
but still there is alot of the dash that im thinking of painting once i get my new interior set up
got a nice burl wood for the interior
and once i decicide on what color leather seat i want ill paint the center console and such

any way theis is pretty staright foward and a found a great deal about 40 buck less plus aplication glue from what james is selling

http://www.wooddashfactory.com/pages/orders/dashdetail.cfm?partno=FAT-COGR
http://www.wooddashfactory.com

·
Registered
161 Posts
Anyone know of a place that will sell only parts of the dash kit? I don't want everything they normally come with.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Try superior dash. I bought a few parts off of them this summer. I think it is superiordash.com.

Just send them an emial telling them what u need/want.

Tony

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I cant remember anyone whos had both the dash kit and painted dash ever say they liked the kit better than painted. i've never seen, touched a dash kit so i wouldn't know.

Originally posted by: pythagoras
actually im putting in my dash kit tonight
but still there is alot of the dash that im thinking of painting once i get my new interior set up
got a nice burl wood for the interior
and once i decicide on what color leather seat i want ill paint the center console and such

any way theis is pretty staright foward and a found a great deal about 40 buck less plus aplication glue from what james is selling
I think youre better off painting first then putting the dash kit on.

·
Registered
211 Posts
well you right
but i didn't decide i wanted to paint the dash until i installed the dash kit

plus its a cheap fix but until i get around to replacing the seat it will hold me over

eventually I want my seats and dash kit to match with the appropriate carbon fiber dash kit to match

but since my cats pretty much stock i want to keep it sort of basic before i really get into it. Plus I need to feel comfortable doing this stuff on my own
so I would rather take my time and a few extra steps.
plus you never know how it will turn out till you actually install it.

sorry for the hijacked thread :)

·
Timmah
3,050 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
a shop might charge you a lot of money to paint the dash, but it will look 100 times better than if you do it yourself. It will look and feel just like your exterior paint.
Mike
If done correctly you can get it to look just as good if not better than a shop. You yourself will more than likely take more time to do it yourself than some guy you MIGHT know that makes you wait 4 days to get your dash back. If you prep, sand, prime, wetsand, and use enough thin layers of quality paint and clearcoat, then wax you can make it just as good as any shop.
If you go to sell your car just paint it all semi-gloss black.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Not everyone has access to a professional paint booth and sprayer though... That is the main difference between a shop and a home-job. I did mine myself and it turned out great, but i know that if I had it done professionally it would have turned out even better! You just can't reproduce a professional job in your garage with a spray can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts