New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have seen several cougars with the cougar emblem in the middle of the wheel painted. I think it looks slick! Can you do something like that yourself (and how without messing it up??) or do you have a shop do it?
I'd appreciate input from anyone who has them or knows how-to
Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've got a 2001 silver frost c2 and it came stock with black center caps. I'm pretty sure all the c2's have different color center caps. If you wanted them, you could probably order them from the dealer (thats if you have a 2001+ cougar). Later.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I painted my own center caps.... you take a paint marker and color in what you want -- apply 3 coats of clear coat

total cost on the mod is like 5 or 10 bucks and it looks totally professional

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought that it did look feasible...sounds much better than wasting $250. What paint markers would you recommend using?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
What year is YOUR Cougar? You might want to try www.fordpartsonline for new center caps. They offer them with yellow, red and black painted cougars in the center for $34.70 each. That is for the 2001 Cougar.
Hope this helps,
Charles

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I just used a black paint marker from Walmart... look in the craft section and buy a fine tipped one... it was a 1 night project....

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ya but wont you be able to see the little streaks. Meaning that with just a little paint marker you have to color it in like on paper, so wont you see the little streaks not a nice smooth even finish. Oh and then how do you put the clear coat on. Just spray it over the entire center cap.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
no you do not see the specific strokes.... and you remove the center cap fro the wheel... once you are happy with your painting you must clear coat it a few times or it will scratch off... My caps look great... its a easy mod...

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
no prob... and if you need a picture of my center caps up close just ask.... I have the 1999 wheels with the 2000 center cap... :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did my 2002 caps in black. I just used vinyl decal material that a tinting place gave me for free when they did my windows. I just took my time with an exacto knife after cutting out a pattern.

Lyle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i got quoted 15 bux for each center cap.... unless my math fails me thats aroudn 60 bux for all 4

·
Registered
285 Posts
next question, do you have to sand the inner part that you are going to pain and prime it or anything. or just slap the paint on with the paint markers then clear coat the entire center cap.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
just wash the caps really well in sudsy hot water... allow to air dry completely, paint... clean up your lines if necessary and then clearcoat.... :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Even better yet guys. Go to Autozone, and buy a bottle of black touch up paint. They come in like 1/2 oz bottles. Use that, and it doesn't scratch off as easy, plus it's made for cars. I used one bottle for all four of my caps, and they look great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a comment for the crowd... This board rocks!!!!!
I just recently got into wanting to modify my cougar and stumbled upon this. I still don't know what the hell I'm doing :flushed: but all questions answered here...

way cool people! :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ya everyone here is nice and always willing to help. If you have any questions ask Crispy. Shes great at the cosmetic mods and just a great person in general.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts