New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question, but it is something i have been wondering. Why is Maaco such a bad place to get a paint job. It's sooooooooo cheap. Now don't get me wrong i've had a few things painted, but i went to a "real" shop and paid a buttload of money.

S

·
0 Posts
they use really cheap products, bad paint prep, and rush to get your car done. ive seen 2 cars with maaco paint jobs and the colors were really off and there was dirt in the clear and also runs

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
go to earl sheib. My gf got her car painted there about 9 months ago for $600 and its just like any other paint job from a body shop.

Mike

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
If its a good paint job you shouldnt even be able to tell the car has been re-painted, most MAACO jobs dont have that high gloss finish that a real body shop gives. Ive also seen a couple MAACO jobs where they didnt remove badging, cover up door and trunk locks and emblems and they got painted the same color as the car.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
my paintjob costed me $500 bucks.......... CANADIAN! :biggrin:

it has a few tiny flaws, but nothing major at all... car was even sanded down and everything.
the only complaint i had all summer was that it chips easily, but honestly thats my fault since i did MAJOR traveling last year (HCKC, Cougarfest, Hamillfest, and a few trips to Toronto & one to Windsor) and i didn't "tape up" my car or put protective stuff on my hood / bumper like i saw alot of people doing.

nice thing is that it wont kick me in the bawlz to pay for a new paintjob this year :)

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I would assume that with enough wet sanding and clear coating any paint job would look breath taking.. You could get a 5K HOK paint job and if the person didn't spray it correctly or wetsand properly if will look like crap too...

As someone else stated - each MACCO is dependently owned.. some of them are quite pricey and do fantastic work.. BadLarry works at one and he did his own car and its flawless..

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ok, MAACO can in theory do an alright job. Show quality? Heck no!! Maybe the painter can do that good of a job, but there is no way your gonna get that good of a paint job for a couple hundered dollars.

Honestly people, come on. The "I want a cheap paint job, why do "real" shops cost so much?" crap gets old. If even half of you realized how much G.D. work goes into doing a good/show quality job you would be "upset" with people as well. It takes about a day or 2 just to tear the car down for a full re-spray! thats potentially 16 hours of work just to remove everything that needs to be off BEFORE THE CAR IS EVEN SANDED! Maaco's full price is less than the labor to do that in some cases.. Then all of the sanding begins... all of the dings/dents pulled and straightened. Then the car gets blocked out to make sure its perfectly straight. then primer.. then more blocking/straightening... still.. no paint yet. at this point there is probably 25-40 or more man hours into the car (from my own experience, and depending on the condition of the car). Still no paint yet! After everything is perfect, prepped and cleaned the masking begins.. this alone takes a few hours for a full car. Ok, now after all of that you can paint the car.. that takes about a day or so. OK, the car is out of the paint booth. Now comes the wetsanding and the buffing.. another day or 2 here for best results.. Lot of time huh? Tell me you can do that for a couple hundred bucks...

Yes a good paint job is expensive. The shop I work for STARTS at $2500 for a full re-spray (the same color) that includes ZERO bodywork. That is an additional charge. Heck, just to do a full re-spray/color change to my car this winter im effectivly paying $5K, and im doing all of the bodywork all of the sanding, teardown and everything else. Thats, basically, how expensive it is to have the painter in the booth plus some extra for his time. Granted I am spending extra time at the shop and trading labor, for labor and materials to "pay" my debt. Yes the shop uses good paint and its rather expensive so that jumps the price up, but still.. please.. be REALISTIC people.

Oh and ND4SPD, was your car painted with PPG paint (if you know)? From what I know/have seen PPG has a tendancy to chip rather easily as well as develop tiny bubbles where the solvent remained trapped in the paint and "popped" it.

Im not trying to vent at anyone in particular, but please people, develope an understanding of what has to be done for a correct, and good paint job if you are looking into getting paint work.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
heh, i dont think it was any kind of fancy paint... i'm thinking it was the "house special" :rofl:

last year I didn't really mind, but this year i intend to actually buy and bring my OWN paint (since im going two tone and want a specific red) but I will definitely ask them what kind of paint they use. Im actually curious too seeing as how I was SURE they glitched by charging so little (but then again, i was paying them a few thousand bucks cause the car was in the shop for about a month, so they probably knocked off a bit to be nice since i was there for body work AND paint)

The paint really only chips if its on purpose though... it doesn't flake off or anything, but its very vulerable to rock chips - but then again, it could just be because i have a black car and its super easy to see any chipping (since the chips are whiteish color) heh!

so what IS 'ppg' paint?... i hear people say 'oh, im getting a silver with a PPG blue pearl etc... i thought ppg was a good type of paint? i didn't know it was easy to chip and bubble. :shrug:

·
Registered
815 Posts
PPG is a brand of paint. It IS a good paint but from my experience it seems to chip rather easily, rock chips being the most obveous. I just doesnt seem to be as wear and tear friendly as some other paints. They also seem to have a problem (after time) of solvent coming up through the paint and making little tiny bubbles. This could also be attributed to a problem with the shop that applied the paint. I dont have enough knowledge or anything to say much else. There are always going to be issues with no matter what kind of paint you use. Each brand/paint line seems to have its own unique problems. The general rule "you get what you pay for" applies to paint as well. the more expensive brands are almost always the best. Exept for that water based paint. I have heard the paint rep say quite a few bad things about those products, and I believe that is some of the most expensive. But hey, I guess thats what you get when you make some tree hugging enviro. people making decisions on what can and cant be in paint.

Man, after re-reading what I have written lately I might come off as kind of a Jerk.. oops

1 - 13 of 13 Posts