New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
this is a bit late but there really isnt a cheap DIY with paint. Anything you do paint wise with that, that is cheap is in fact going to give you cheap results which may look good for a period of time. But then its just going to go back to how it was. UV rays suck and it looks like the body line is starting to rust which means waters gotten to the metal. To fix that properly you have to get all the rust gone then prime it. Then you have to repaint then you have to at least scuff the clear on the entire panel thats effected which looks like your quarter panel and door. Then you have to re clear both. Also since yours is the silver frost color and theres numerous variations in the stock paint theres a really good chance the shades of silver aren't going to match.
Another thing is the silver used from the factory is a metallic paint which has small metal flakes in it which if you don't blend right with the original paint you'll see the repair area. as well as if you spray it wrong its going to have what they call tiger stripes. Those will also show.
Bottom line. There is no cheap unless you want cheap results for a little while which youll just have to redo again and again. Its better to just save up and get a descent paint job.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Sorry that post ended up way longer then intended

·
Registered
221 Posts
Rooster210 is spot on. I've got a 35th anniversary silver frost that battled a deer in the front right. New fender, bumper, headlight and some hood work. That was easy, Matching the paint...kicked my butt. Tried 3 times.
https://goo.gl/photos/9gUqggKZca9sjS637
I just primed the bumper for now- can't see it in the picture but the hood and fender don't match. Not sure what to do. Decent complete paint job $1500.00 at least. Right now spending money on the Black 99 3.0 MTX.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The silver is hard to match with a rattle can due to theres at least 2 paint codes for silver frost and dozens of variables with each. Pictures hide the differences some unless its drastic differences. Places like Maaco can paint your car for cheap but then your looking at a paint job that I would only expect to last a couple years then its gonna look shotty. Our mixing system at school has about a dozen variables for each shade of silver for every manufacturer on the market these days. Sucks cause thats alot of choices that look good unless you're in sunlight. Im lucky enough that I could paint mine at school and at least save myself the labor cost. But good quality paint is expensive itself. You're still looking at repainting about half the car.
If its just the rust looking spots you can probably get away with a quart of primer because you really only need to prime where you went through to metal on sanding. All the sun faded paint I would sand down some and repaint the whole area just so it looks good when youre done. so possibly 3-4 quarts at least so you have enough materials to blend the paint. as well as doing a control coat of paint so the flake in the paint looks better. We just did a crown Vic which is a big car and I think we ended up using about a gallon of clear on it after both coats of clear were done.
So to get an idea of what youre looking to spend thats a good starting point for paint costs. Don't forget you also have to get reducers for the paint as well, and something to apply paint with. You're also going to need various grades of sand paper and scotch bright pads, and something to buff the paint afterwards.

If you just want something to get by with the colormatch paint "works" but most of the time the colors not going to match with our frosty's and anyone who knows a descent amount about paint that is paying attention would notice in sunlight. The nonmetallic colors are alot easier and can easily be done with rattle cans but its still going to cost a descent amount just because of how much car you have to cover.
Before I went to school for it I did my silver hood with rattle cans and still spent over 100 bucks just for my the outside of my hood.

Hopefully my incoherent ramblings have helped some amd sorry about the length of the post again. I guess Im a little passionate about paint now lol.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly, I just want it to look better than it currently does. It doesn't have to be perfect or a perfect match. Like I said cheap and easy works for me. I found a youtube video where they took a razor blade and scraped off the peeling clear coat and then sanded it back, then took some dupli-color spray paint and sprayed it up then came back with some aerosol clear coat and did like a bunch of coats of that and it looked pretty decent. You don't think that would work for me?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
yeah it'll work. Anything will work. If you dont mind that fact that you'll have to redo it over and over in the future. The thing they don't show on youtube most of the time is what that repair looks like a few months down the road or even a year. In the end its your car and you can fix it how you want , you're the one who has to be happy with it.
If I was doing it I wouldn't rattle can anything when it comes to the car other then engine parts, trim pieces, and interior parts, and primer. I guess thats the crappiest part or learning how to do it correctly, Half the stuff I used to do I wouldn't do now.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Bed liner
Then a 4WD conversion and big-ass mud tires.
Build a swamp cougar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts