New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a link? i found a page that had good detail but i lost it:( Or if anyone could just takea pic of pre painted calipers and jus gimmie a heads up on what not to paint i'd be fine :-d

Thanks!

· Registered
4,973 Posts
just throw a plastic bag over the rotor and cover anything else you DON'T want to get paint on. Then you have to sand down the calipers really good to get all the dirt and any fluids off it. Then just spray it with hi-temp paint like you would any other part. Don't drive the car for at least 20 hours.

Mike

· Registered
4,973 Posts
well, maybe not 20, you just want to make sure they are dry enough so the paint won't melt off. If the termperature is in the 60-80 range, maybe 5-10 hours.

Mike

· Registered
3,694 Posts
When me and my dad did my calipers over the summer, we just took em off (I was replacing the pads and rotors too) and just cleaned them REALLY REALLY good and sprayed..... didn't have to sand em :shrug: Its been bout 3 months and no problems as of yet :thumbsup:

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how long did you let them sit off? Im gonna need to use my car the next day :-/ so i prolly just gonna leave them on, jack it up paint jack it down and let it sit then drive it to school the next morning.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol well... I already started teh base coat and my friend is givign me a ride to school. Tomorrow afternoon ill do the other coat of color :).

Thanks for help all.

· Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Actually, according to the detailed how-to that I followed when I did mine successfully, take off the tire, cover everything else up with a bag and spray some engine grade paint into a cup and brush it on without sanding, just light cleaning first and the car is drivable within an hour.

I followed that instruction and mine are fine and the car was driveable.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eh I used spray paint, everything but the calipers covered in Nwespaper and masking tape lol. It's a horrible sight :( More papaer then cougar out in my garage!

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually they did, very nice lookin. I'll get some pics when I find my camera! They need a 3rd coat but i don't have time right now to do it. I have to drive to school lol. I'll do that in a week or so.

And I had covered up half the body of the car in paper to prevent the spray flying on it from the wind blowing it!

· Registered
674 Posts
When I did mine aluminum foil was a gift from the gods.....really. and you only did 2 coats of paint :confused: When I did mine I did 10-15 and started out very very light so the paint would not run/chip. It looked great till I got a break job.

· Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by: Excelcier
Actually, according to the detailed how-to that I followed when I did mine successfully, take off the tire, cover everything else up with a bag and spray some engine grade paint into a cup and brush it on without sanding, just light cleaning first and the car is drivable within an hour.

I followed that instruction and mine are fine and the car was driveable.

Where is the how-to on caliper painting? I know it's easy but I wanna check out details on how others did it up.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Never found a how to.. I went and bought a base coat and a clear coat of paint at atuo zone, cover up my rotors with tape and paper. And cover my wheel well and all the paint around my car. then sprayed them i did about 4 coats. Of each paint. But it worked and looks good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.