New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first bought my car in 1999, I had a muffler shop saw off the stock muffler, put a flowmaster 40 series and a 4" tip in it's place. Are there any performace gains in doing this?

If not, I was thinking about buying a Pacesetter until I read all the bad things about it. Why is that? Is it that bad?

Also, I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new exhaust for a car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a flowmaster should have better flow than stock but replacing a muffler with another muffler will not do to much except for the sound.you need to chop off your resenater and have a strait pipe welded in its place. or save your stock system and get a yodude witch is well worth $320.i personaly dont like pacesetter but to each his own.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I've heard that the Pacesetter sounds good, but people have lost power on the dyno after installing it. Anyone with the Pacesetter want to comment?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I've felt a gain in upper rpms with my butt dyno. I don't believe that the system lost power. But, a year after I've had my pacesetter, the tips are covered in rust. I'm just gonna replace the tips with stainless steel, and put a dynomax in the muffler's place. That will cost me an entire $230. $100 cheaper than yodudes. I have to do a lot of cutting, but I like that kinda stuff!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have pacesetter and love it, I have only had it for three months, so I dont know of any rusting problems. I havent had any so far and it rains all the time here in Va beach. If it ever does rust I'll just get new tips , no big deal. You cant beat it for the price, like $235 shipped!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone have pacesetter stainless system? How is it? I'm thinking to get it this summer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
As far as i know the only bad thing i have heard about the pacesetter system is rust. If people are worried about rust why would they buy the yodude system over pacesetter? i would think that the yodude would rust alot sooner, considering that there is no coating on it. at least the pacesetter has a coating. Im not saying that its perfect. the only true way to get away from rust is to go stainless, and that means shelling out the big bucks.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Exhaust systems rust from the inside-out when condensation sits in the piping for extended of time. Painting/coating the outside does little to prevent this. What it will do is reduce interior noise. This is why I plan to paint my yodude exhaust and y-pipe with hi-temp paint when it arrives.

Since most stock exhaust systems are not stainless and still manage to last for many many years (while plenty of people with Pacesetters have had them rust out in as little as 3 years), I think the problem with the Pacesetter may not be the type of metal, but rather inadequate drainage of moisture. I'm only guessing here, of course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.