New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Mercury Cougar, 2000, Automatic, 2.5L V6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw a P0442 OBD code on my Cougar after the engine light appeared. Is replacing the EVAP canister and vent valve the right way to fix this? If so I would appreciate any suggestions on where these parts are located and how to go about replacing them.

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
No way to know exactly where the leak is coming from without smoke-testing the system. Although replacing the canister is WAY WAY OVERKILL.

Often it's the o-ring on your fuel cap. But there are about 30 feet of EVAP lines and several fittings, plus the valve and the solenoid, so I wouldn't start buying parts until I was able to test the system to see where it's coming from.

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
ALSO I might add - the majority of the EVAP lines are aluminum, but most of the lines in and around the charcoal canister and fuel filler neck are indeed rubber. So conceivably one could maybe pull down the charcoal canister and do a visual on all of those rubber lines to see if there are any apparent cracks or holes etc. You might get lucky and find the culprit that way without a smoke test. It's free of charge, and beats throwing parts at it.

WORD OF WARNING - the charcoal canister is mounted with a couple of very small bolts on the forward edge, and they are very easy to snap off or, even worse, twist off the captive nut so you can't even remove them without cutting. So take great caution and use lots of penetrating oil if you are going to try that.

· Registered
Mercury Cougar, 2000, Automatic, 2.5L V6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the feedback. The mechanics notice confirms they did a smoke test and found the Canister and vent value to be the source of the leak (along with a leak on the top of the fuel tank, which requires dropping the fuel tank and dealing with rusty straps that could break). Do you have any advice for these parts specifically, i.e. sourcing them and how to properly replace them?

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
You might be able to get access to those lines on top of the fuel tank by dropping out the rear cradle. Less chance to break bolts and straps, but not a lot of fun either.

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Font Automotive exterior

For what it's worth - here is what the top of the fuel tank looks like. The top one is a returnless tank from a late-99 on, and the bottom one is an early 99 return-style tank. You can see there's only one EVAP line on there, so that might at least let you know exactly what you're looking for. Good luck!

· Registered
377 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. The mechanics notice confirms they did a smoke test and found the Canister and vent value to be the source of the leak (along with a leak on the top of the fuel tank, which requires dropping the fuel tank and dealing with rusty straps that could break). Do you have any advice for these parts specifically, i.e. sourcing them and how to properly replace them?
Straps can be found on eBay and I still think the dealers can still get them. If the one rubber hose has a hole on it I have spares of those I pull off cars all the time. The 01-02’s are different than the 99-00 though but if you need one just message me and I can see what I have. I have an 01 parts car. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts