New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today my upstream new oxygen sensor finally showed up after being help up with USPS. Anyway, I went out and took the old one out, and before I tore open the new ones sealed bag, I noticed the connector was not correct. I immediately came inside and looked up the sensor, which said it was for the 99 Mercury Cougar. SG226 is the part number. So, I did a little closer inspection of the pictures, and low and behold, there seem to be two different connectors used. Was there a change in years? Mine has fully round plugs, where this one was half round, half square. Even O-Reilly, Autozone and Rock Auto show upstream and downstream with both connectors fitting this car. Also, I have noticed some places saying the same sensor works as both upstream and downstream. Any thoughts to this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have answered my own question. Above is from Ford parts. Looks like it is the same sensor front and back on the 2.0L like I have. And you replace with the same color plug.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
If you dont want to hassle with returning it, you can cut the connector off and splice the old one on. It wont affect operation at all as long as you keep the wires straight.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you dont want to hassle with returning it, you can cut the connector off and splice the old one on. It wont affect operation at all as long as you keep the wires straight.
I was actually thinking about doing that. Nothing a little solder and shrink tubing won't fix. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts