New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i repainted my door the other day at school but i didnt really think about masking off the rest of the car cause i was using a downdraft booth. anyone know what i can use to get this stuff off? i tried using a clay bar on a spot a few minutes ago but it didnt seem to really work. thanks
adam

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
clay bar will do it on painted surfaces... on the interior I am not so sure.. I have heard a rumor that oven cleaner works as well.. try it in a small spot otherwise if its on the door itself and there is no flex primer on it you should be able to bend the door panel slightly and your paint will chip or crack off...

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no no crispy, the paint is on the outside, i repaired my door and repainted it

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
claybar should work... when I got alot of my work done the last time I noticed that one of my Z3 fenders was covered in overspray - same with my rims.. the fender was fixed with me claybaring it about 5 times at a show when I was bored.. for the rims I bought this stuff in a little can called "goof off" worked REALLY well.. I assume that it should work great on your door too if the claybar did nothing.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
goof off? i wonder if that would damage my paint? hmm....

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
not unless you leave it on there for an extended period of time.. it's in a small little yellow can and you can get it anywhere ... it worked REALLY well on the rims and that was automotive paint...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Clay bar is safest for overspray, if you didn't have any luck with the Mothers yellow bar, you may need to step up to a more aggressive bar (don't worry these are still non-abrasive) like ClayMagic's red bar or I know Meguiars used to have a clay bar designated specifically for overspray but I can't seem to find it on their site right now.

Clay Magic / AutoMagic is the original manufacturer of clay bars and they are primarily a professional detailing supply company which is why most people aren't as familiar with it compared to Mothers which is geared toward consumers.

·
Registered
815 Posts
If you repainted the door, you really should have blended into both the fender and quarter panel. Its basically impossible to get a good color match without it. Any time that you have the car in a booth/etc, bag the entire car (or if you are using paper only, mask the enitre car). It is more work, but well worth the effort. Its not my intention to be a jerk, I am just trying to help.

As for the overspray, you could try lightly wet-sanding (1000 or higher grit) and then buffing the affected areas. Just be VERY carefull to not burn through the clear. The clearcoat is really thin on factory paint.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it really wouldnt have mattered if i blened into the quarter pannel cause the tint of the paint is so off that i can tell where i blended it into the front part of the door, i only repainted half the door and cleared the entire door.
i used to use the blue clay bar from clay magic, it worked really good, where can i get the red one?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aight i just went and bought a clay bar from the paint shop up here, and i seem to have gotten off all of the overspray. thanks for everyone who helped.

**lesson learned**
when painting a section of a car, tape off the whole [email protected] car!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts