New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a hour or so ago I was traveling to toll road taking the lady to South Bend for a dentist appointment. We got to the South Bend toll booth, paid the person and took off into town when I could hear the radiator fans spinning loud and mad as hell. I thought this was odd seeing as it was 54F outside...glanced at the temp gauge and it was burried in the red. I stopped imediently and checked everything out, nothing leaking, full res of coolant..(right at max). Put the car into diagnostics mode and it was sitting at 255F...after waiting for a few minutes it was down to 220F, started the car and it rocketed back to 255F within about 3 seconds. We had another mile or so to go so I drove slowly. Turned the heater on full blast and there was nothing but cold air coming out. Got to the dentist office just to find that now I have no coolant...? It appears that the overflow tube was wet as if it pressurized and shot all the coolant out, the belt is wet and so forth from where it dribbled. Please tell me this isn't something serious...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I'm thinking...however...the engine is finally cool enough to LOOK LOOK at it...the smaller sevice belt (by TB/Intake) is shreded to hell and back...just walked a mile in some direction and got a new belt, now I need a 7mm socket :banghead:

·
8,583 Posts
That belt drives the water pump. Hopefully that's all it is and you caught it before any damage was done...

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
Although I would wonder what caused the belt to shred like that. I'd keep a close on the new belt just in case.
Seized water pump maybe. :shrug:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That belt drives the water pump. Hopefully that's all it is and you caught it before any damage was done...
Yep, it was. The car was on for only a matter of a few minutes at tops and once I caught it, the engine never got above maybe 2krpm. I just got the belt on there, got some coolant in there, no knocking, everything sounds in check and it drives like a wonder still, so, I'm assuming there is no damage...

Although I would wonder what caused the belt to shred like that. I'd keep a close on the new belt just in case.
I'm not sure either...but if I can get a shot of it, the belt is litereally shredded into many of pieces...its like string cheeze lol

Seized water pump maybe. :shrug:
I wonder? I turned the water pump over with my hand to see if there was any resistance, it turned smooth as butter, alot easier than my old grand am did.

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
I've lost 2 water pumps already [although the metal impeller one has already held longer than the first 2 combined].

I did have some 'residual' damage to the injector wire harness from overheating. You may want to spend a few minutes and pull off a few of the sensors and make sure the wires are not crispy [but do so carefully].

·
8,583 Posts
Keep a close eye on that temperature gauge and the new belt. Belts usually don't just randomly shred; there's usually a reason (water pump bearings would be my first guess).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts