New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could someone please give me a good how-to on to remove the orange reflectors out of the headlights?! thanks very much! :O)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Heres the HowTo. its for 99-00 headlights but should work on 01+

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,007 Posts
Do you have a 99-00 or a 00-01?

Disclaimer- from personal experience, the 99-00 lights look stupid with the reflector removed. There is an exposed bulb- not cool.

Anyways, you take the headlight out- the whole capsule. There are a bunch of clips around it, holding it together. Like, 10 or 12. Flip those off there with a small flat head screwdriver. You then have to CAREFULLY pry the halves apart. They are held on by a tar-like adhesive that holds really well. Start on the corner by the reflector (there's a peg that you have to watch not to break) and pry. If you have about a dozen screwdrivers, this is good. You can pry a little and stick a screwdriver in to hold it. Because if you let go, it will seal itself shut again. You don't have to take the lens off entirely- just enough to get the reflector out. It just sits in there, so you need enough clearance to move it out of there.

Leave as much of the "tar" on there as possible, because it is needed to keep the moisture out when you put it back together.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
yup. you can make a reflector and fill the holes it leaves behind. the holes are how the reflector was fixed to the headlight assembly. which is what i did.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Here is the How-To, written by myself and 01blkcat. Link.. I can give you a hand if you want, since you live like 5 minutes from me. I did mine, and also helped Dante do his, so I'm pretty good at it now.

Tony

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
Do you have a 99-00 or a 00-01?

Disclaimer- from personal experience, the 99-00 lights look stupid with the reflector removed. There is an exposed bulb- not cool.
I noticed thar bulb..I just took it out and tucked the harness away so that you can't see it. It looks good.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mines an 02, ive seen them without the orange reflectors and i think that looks way better! thanks for the help

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,007 Posts
Originally posted by: Seth
yup. you can make a reflector and fill the holes it leaves behind. the holes are how the reflector was fixed to the headlight assembly. which is what i did.

That looks sweet, Seth. I may give that a shot once I get my sidemarkers in and taillight covers on. Thanks for the pic!

·
Registered
107 Posts
hey seth, how did you make your own reflector??!!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Basically went to home depot and bought some reflector sheet that is used to cover the fluorescent lights in office type settings ($2.99 for a 2x2 sheet). One side is flat and somewhat smooth , the other side is bumpy just like car reflectors. Theres many different styles so just pick something you like.

Then once i had my headlights apart.. i just marked the triangle with a pencil and cut it out with a dremel.
Got some silver high heat paint.. and painted one side. Painted the inner face of the new reflector. If you paint it and face it outward.. it will look wierd and look painted. So i painted the bumpy side and put the bumpy side facing the inner part of the headlight. This way the smooth side is out and looks smooth (like reflectors). The paint was very light. Just enough that you could see the color but light still comes thru. then got some glue (they super glue kind) and glued in. after a couple of hours.. i put my lights back together and was done.

only thing is when you remove the 99-00 reflectors completely.. you'll see some holes in the headlight. they look wierd so i filled mine in with some filler. wetsanded. and repainted the whole inner parts.

edit: oh yea. make sure the lightbulb directly behind the new reflector isn't touching the reflector. My driverside was touching but i was lazy and didn't fix it so now i have some dots in my driver's side headlight. I have to redo the driverside only.

·
Registered
107 Posts
that's hella kool!

One quick question though, I have the newer style headlights. Does the aformentioned still apply?
I was thinking I could nightshade it, that way it'll look smoked like my sidemarkers.

I think this would be a good project for James to undertake. They would sell like hotcakes!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarC202
that's hella kool!

One quick question though, I have the newer style headlights. Does the aformentioned still apply?
I was thinking I could nightshade it, that way it'll look smoked like my sidemarkers.

I think this would be a good project for James to undertake. They would sell like hotcakes!
Why? This is something you could do yourself... have James dedicate his time to something useful that we can't do on our own....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.