New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a how to on taking off those orange lenses on the turn signals. I just boughts some smoked side markers and have a black cougar so the orange lenses wont match too well anymore. Is there any way to get silver ones because i got a black 2001 cougar and have a black and silver theme going? Should i just leave the orange ones?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
here this is kinda like the same thing. but just dont paint it. i did this and im pretty happy with the results. my warning to you is .... when you pry the lights apart be very careful. just pry a little and use a razor blade to cut the sealant away. i made the mistake of complety prying it and using nothing but screw drivers and now i cant get a good seal.. i always end up having to reseal it every couple weeks. if you use the razor blade you will not have the problem i have ,, so just a heads up here is saidsevens link to the headlight mod Headlight mod

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
oh yeah if you wanna get creative you could try this

·
Registered
597 Posts
If you have a 2001, you could just remove it. You then see the paking light bulbs directly though. Same thing.. follow the how-to for painted headlight, but don't paint them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do youn know about how long theis job takes? After i take off the orange covers will i be able to put them back on because it says break the 3 tabs that hold them on....?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It took me about 2 hours or so for both of them. I was trying to be really careful. Be sure to reheat the adhesive with a heat gun or hair dryer before you put the lenses back on. I forgot that step and got some fog in there after it rained. I had to take it apart again. It has been 3 months and no fog or leaks. As far as the tabs go, I got mine out by pushing in on the tab. "In" as in pushing inward towards the center of the lense. I only broke 1 of the 6 tabs. Even if you did break all the tabs there is always crazy glue or even that emblem adhesive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
why what will happen if we paint them????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for you help guy, i dont think that they would look really cool if you painted the lenses maybe the headlights would look alrights...but the 2001 already look cool cause they are chrome so i wouldnt mess with a good thing...

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
the reason we say not to paint them is cuz he asked how to remove the lenses from the blinker. we showed him the how to on painting headlights. thats why we tell him not to paint it

·
Registered
60 Posts
i thought you meant something would happen if you painted the reflecor intsted of taking it out

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i just started taking apart my headlights and am having a little trouble taking of the rubber sealant around the frame of the headlight should i heat it up first? will it come out easier that way

·
Registered
597 Posts
Heat might help you. Use a cardboard cutter to help you cut through the goo. Then split carefully and progressively the headlamp from the front. You can use screwdriver bits to keep the parts from coming back together while you progress the slip.

Took me around 3 hours to do both headlamps, but taking my time and working carefully. Make sure to clean everything thouroughly before sealing it back: I still have my fingerprint on my projector lens!

'Goo gone' will be helpful to clean the goo you might carry.

Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, i thought that a little heat might do the trick, but then i added a little and ripped a little piece of the rubber (like 1 cm off the end) so I put it back together and gave up. Is there any real trick to removing that rubber seal on the outside? Because i cant seem to get it off....

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
persitance and razor blade. and time,.... thats all you need

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
No, don't cut the rubber thing. They are talking about cutting through the goo in between the lense and the base. I know what you are talking about. It is the little thing on top of the fixture that looks like an eyebrow so to speak. If you look at it, you may be able to see how it unhooks from the plastic peices that hold it on. Work it a little and it should come loose. Just don't heat it much, because it will shrink really fast. I shrunk half of one of mine. And don't give up. On the 2001 this is one of the more sleak mods.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah do you just remove it around the top of the head light to where it curves around to the bottom a little? On the bottom half of the head light there looks like there is a different size "eyelash" does that come off too?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Yeah you take the top one off and set it aside and put it on after you are done with everything. I don't remember taking anything off of the bottom on my 2001. Oh wait! Yeah, it goes down the side to the corner of the headlight and makes a triangle looking shape??? If so, yeah that comes off too. It is all one peice, or is if it not torn yet. When you put it back on, put the corner triangle part on first then work your way across the top. If you start on the other end more than likely you will end up with slack on the triangle end. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for your help mindtrip i hope it works...im doing a silver highlights on my black cougar, and want to get rid of the orange lenses and side markers...

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
You are welcome. I completely understand. It looks so much better with out the orange in there. You are going silver? Do you not like the chrome?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts