New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions NEEDED on subs.....

Ok....I am giving my best friend her christmas present when I get home (I'm still on vacation) and picked her gift up here in L.A.

She wanted subs for her Civic as we're building a custom enclosure when I get back. Now, does anyone have anything good to say about the

Sony X-plod xs-L1200B.

I bought her 3 of them, so I'm hopeing for a bit of boom. the specs are .....

Speaker woofer 30cm (12 in), cone type
Peak 800 watts
rated power 200 watts
Impedance 4 ohms
Sensitivity 89 dB/W/m
Freq response 22-2500 Hz
Mass 9lb 8 oz. (per)

What do you think?

What amp do you suggest to power all this? (3 of these subs)

EDIT- I got all 3 subs for $150 brand new in the box, tax in......pretty good deal in my opinion. :)

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
well obviously you got a good deal cus they suck

I have not heard these Xplods in person, but what I heard from others and read in other audio forums that Sony Auto products suck especially this Xplod series.

I am not sure how you want to wire 3 subs but look for a amp that can power 200Wrms per channel

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by: CougarKat
well obviously you got a good deal cus they suck
On the contrary, he was selling them for 79.99 but gave them to me for $50 a piece because he only had one Rockford Fosgate 12'' left (which he had on special for $40) He was a cool guy and wanted to work within my budget.

I know sony is not the greatest for Subs, allthough that is based on hearsay. All of my home audio/visual is Sony and I have had 0 problems with them and they have allways stood by their warrenty, hence my second reason for buying them (cost being the first). On third mention, these are a christmas gift for someone else, not me, and personally, if a friend gave me 3 subs for christmas, I wouldn't complain. I personally have a preferance for Alpine Type R's, but getting her 3 Type R's was not in the budget.

As for wiring and amps, I have seen 3 subs wored before, just cannot remember how it was done. we may toss a fourth sub in, but that will be going in the trunk. Since her car was broken into, and the rear seats and interior shredded, we are fibreglassing/mdfing the entire back seat area and placing 1 sub behind the drivers seat, 1 behind the pasenger seat, and the third lower inbetween. This project will begin as soon as I get home. Hopefully it will turn out right :)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
yea, i'll have to go with cougarkat on this one, they aint worth $50/piece. i got my subs shipped for $100/piece and one of them would blow the hell out of 3 or 4 of them things. not to forget that it looks a lot cooler too. but thats just my thoughts.

i dont want to just bash you completely because you did go through all this trouble so well, if you build an awesomely perfect box for them theres a chance for a "boom", but yea, theres always better for the same price.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
A good website to reference for wiring is JLAudio.com. I assume those a single voice coil. If so, the only problem you will run into is you will have to wire them parallel, in which case, you will be running at 1.33 ohms. If they are SVC, i would suggest buying a forth of the same sub, and getting either a 2 channel amp that is 2 ohm stable, or buying one amp that is 1 ohm stable.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Yeah, amp and wiring is crucial at this point. Doing 3 subs in a pair is not easy, and most amps are not stable below 2 ohms (you will melt the internals). I suggest you take it someplace and let them wire the subs, since messing that up can not only cost you the subs, but the amp.

Sony does makes some very good quality home audio, but then again they have much more power to work with from 110. ;) The Xplode subs aren't bad, and for the price, you got a great deal. They will definately be a decent street system, but don't go trying to compete with them or anything. ;) You might wanna look into the Sony amps, since they make decent amps at a low cost, but I doubt anything they make will handle < 2ohms.

E1

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
she has an alpine V12 amp and my buddy is giving her his JL aswell. He was powering 2 W6 with it, so it should be fine.

And yeah, it's for street, not for SPL or DB competitions. she wanted somthing more for looks, and if this box works, it will be sweet.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
the problem is not with the amount of power you are going to push, but with how you will have to wire it.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by: tropiccougar01
the problem is not with the amount of power you are going to push, but with how you will have to wire it.
hehehe I know.....

That's where I'll likely be asking Excelcier for help. And my buddy is pretty good with installs :)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Actually... a friend of mine had a pair of these with an Xplod amp and it didn't sound half bad...

He did have the best buy warranty with it, he blew the speakers at least every month and had them replace them...

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I bought my Profile amp they gave me a free pair of Baja 10" speaker
and they are better than those speaker!!!

For free speakers the Baja sound really good!!!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
sorry, I never liked Sony car-audio products. My first aftmkt. head unit was a sony and I wasn't too impressed. Plus I've heard plenty of stories about Sony amps/speakers/subs.

Mike

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
After looking at that picture I have decided why it is that you need 3 of them... that magnet is tiny... Personally I would have sprung for one really nice sub... a kicker or orion.... but that is my biased opinion ;)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i think you got pretty good deal...they may be sony's and they may be cheaper models but hey you didn't pay full price, you got them brand new and you didn't get them to win any competitions...you made out well in my opinion....these lower end subs can more then be made up for in a pretty prefectly tuned box, wehter you go ported or prefered sealed as long as the box is to exact specs i think they will sound great...good luck and post some pics when done...you going with glass or MDF??either way i am sure you will make it look fine...
edit:
i think you may have to save one as a back up though and only run two at a time unless you can pick up another one cheap...most subs run in three's (JL's) are 6 or 3 ohm subs..therefore run stable at 1 or 2 ohms in most configurations...i am sure you can find a 1 ohm stable amp out there that will give you 3-400 rms though look at some of those visonic amps..

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
i say well done i'd be well pleased if i got those for a present of someone!! i am running three "crappy" sub's (jbl's) and i only have 200w going to each sub and they still pound hard enough to hurt people's ear's,ok the sound quality is not up with good sub's but i didn't expect it to be :shrug: i used one amp per sub to run my three sub's and have had no prob's at all with them the only thing i will say is to make sure the box is perfectly sized for the sub's as that make's a big difference to how they perform.
good luck and post some pic's when your done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts