New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i am making an offer on one this week as a project... need something that as i put money into it isnt' depreciating faster than i can spend money on it so... this seems like a good optino anyone have any experiance with these i will probably be switching to a bigger engie and getting forged internals first thing then turboing the engine... teh body is goo on it eninge is in pieces interior is fair but will all be reaplces with lighted or custom stuff.. man i want to get started already

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Forget about the engine for a moment. If this is a US-spec Opel GT, you need sway-bars first unless you like it handling like an Aerostar. I'd go with Addco bars instead of trying to import European-spec or Kadett bars. What am I saying? I'd get a Capri, which handles superbly from the factory. An Opel would be heretical. ;)

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah fern... should have expected a good responce from you.. with all your euro car knowledge....

the suspension and brakeing system will be completely redone with much better parts... they ride about 10 feet off the ground when stock so i am working toward something lower and tighter with some nice parts both sway bars and likely custom strut tower bars.

now whats the comment about gettitng a capri? like an old mercury capri? i'm slightly confused but i am sure you can clear it up for me a little better...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Originally posted by: Jorgen
ah fern... should have expected a good responce from you.. with all your euro car knowledge....

the suspension and brakeing system will be completely redone with much better parts... they ride about 10 feet off the ground when stock so i am working toward something lower and tighter with some nice parts both sway bars and likely custom strut tower bars.

now whats the comment about gettitng a capri? like an old mercury capri? i'm slightly confused but i am sure you can clear it up for me a little better...

I don't know too much about Opel GTs. I must confess that anything that I do know of them stems from the fact that I don't particularly like Opels since I'm such a Ford fanatic. GM really mucked the suspension on the US-spec GTs and they paid for it in the press. The European-spec cars handled much better. There is very little press coverage of Opel GTs in the European mags that I subscribe to. Most of the ones that make the pages usually have a modern Opel 16v engine swapped in... usually a 2.0 litre GSi motor. I've seen many US Opel GTs with small block Chevy motors, which I think is a bit overkill.

Mercury Capris? I'm talking about the real Capris. :) Ford imported a large number of them from Europe in the 1970s. Whereas GM brought over GTs and Kadetts that pretended to be great performers, Ford brought over the real deal; the car that dominated European Touring Car racing minus the 2.6L and 3.1L RS engines. Still a spectacular handling car nonetheless for the times. Francois Cevert, Roger Clark, Emerson Fittipaldi, Graham Hill, Niki Lauda, Klaus Ludwig, Jody Scheckter, Jackie Stewart, Hans Stuck, and John Surtees all drove Capris. Who drove Opels? :biggrin: Don't want to get into a Ford vs Opel rant here. I hope that you enjoy your Opel GT.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol trust me i bleed blue but i want something attractive looking cheap to buy and fairly cheap to build up. this is basicly just an entry project car so that when i get to my real projects future plans include a Jag' XKE and a 66 mustang fastback. this is just to learn the little stuff and have somethign in the end that looks good and no one knows what it is...

Thos Capris look pretty nice looks wise untill you get to the front of the front wheels... then they die...

Eh what can i say it is only 175 bucks for a 70 opel gt with everything needed to finish the car.. straight car with little rust or body problems.. was driven and worked fine before the current owener started taking things apart for a full restoration which he jsut boguht a restored car instead basicly has no use for this anymore..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts